pcanywhere on two routers

It's fairly easy. However, you add to the challenge by not bothering to supply an specifics as to what manufacturer and model number router(s) you have available. So, you'll get vague answers.

OK. So, you have two routers in series. In order to get ports: 5631 TCP 5632 UDP to pass through both routers, you'll need to configure BOTH routers. In addition, you'll need to either setup your computer with a fixed IP address, or use static-DHCP in your unspecified model DLink wireless router. Incidentally, the 5631/5632 port numbers can be changed to handle multiple PC's. Also, I've tried to use port triggering instead of port forwarding, which is much more convenient for games. However, that doesn't work with PC Anywhere 9 thru 12.

I'll happily describe the exact settings, but it would be nice to know if the landlord will allow you to reconfigure his router. If he won't allow you to mangle his setup, it can't be done.

Yes, it makes sense. It's called "double NAT" and it's really awkward to deal with if you don't have control over both routers. Now, if the landlords router (actually bridge) would deliver a routeable IP address to each apartment, this would be trivial. However, with only one routeable IP address sitting on the landlords NAT router, you have to configure both routers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I'm trying to setup PCanywhere at my office so I can view files at home and vice versa. I've never done this before but I've been told it's fairly easy.

My situation is a bit different as at my office I'm currently sub-letting a space and I've attached my own D-Link wireless router to run from the high-speed connection that my landlord has which is run off his own router. This was a bit tricky to just setup the connection but it's been working fine.

My question is how to go about setting up PCanywhere since I think I'm dealing with two different layers of IP addresses? does that make sense? And I'm having trouble getting into my router right now because everytime I do the 192.168... I get my landlords router. I've been into my router before to setup WEP but it doesn't come up so easily now.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dahl

Reply to
markymark

The device IP of the landlord's router the gateway router and your router must be the same like both being 192.168.1.1. Since the landlord's router is the gateway router and takes presidency, any of your machines are going to access the gateway router's admin screens when you enter the device IP into the browser to access the admin screens. You must set your router's device IP to be different than the gateway router's IP so that you can access your router's admin screen via the browser.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Argh. That means that both routers will try to assign the same Class-C IP block for the LAN side. That won't work. Assuming the landlords router has selected 192.168.0.1 for it's IP address, you will need to assign some other IP block on yours. For example, setup your DI-624N for a non-default IP address of 192.168.5.1. The "5" is what's important. That will also re-assign the IP addresses of all your computers on your LAN.

No, but it's a start. It would be nice to know how the landlord has his router setup. Specifically, what IP addresses he uses on the LAN side and whether he uses DHCP or static IP's to the other tenants. My guess is he's lazy and just uses DHCP.

Yep. That's why I asked. You will need to do 4 things to make this work.

1. You will need to setup your router so that the WAN side (connected to the landlords router) uses a fixed, non changeing IP address. You can do this by assigning yourself a static IP address, or having the landlord install your router with a static DHCP address in his router. Either way, the IP address should not move.
  2. You will need to redirect ports 5631(TCP) and 5632(UDP) in the landlords router to your router's WAN IP address. It has to be a fixed IP address because the landlords router cannot deal with a moving target IP address.
  3. On your LAN, you need setup your target machine with a similar fixed or static-DHCP assigned IP address, that does not move. Same reason as above as your router can't tolerate a moving target. I would use static-DHCP simply because it's easier.
  4. On your router, you will need to again redirect ports 5631(TCP) and 5632(UDP) to the target machine.

If your landlords router were not in the way, you would only need to do steps 3 and 4.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "two seperate" and "get his router". I can't decode your topology, layout, or what you're using for testing.

Bad question. What you're really should be asking "Is there any remote control program that does not require such a configuration ordeal process"?

Well, there are lots of remote desktop control programs, but none that I can find will go through two NAT routers automatically. There are a few that support UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play) that will automagically bore holes in your firewall if supported. Those will work with one NAT router (that's what UPnP is suppose to do), but not though two NAT routers. Sorry, I don't think it can be done without tweaking at least one router, or having the landlord buy routeable IP's for each apartment (the right way to do this).

Some light reading on UPnP from the wonderful people at MicroSloth: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks so much for the help.

My router is a D-Link DI-624M SuperG MIMO wireless router. My landlords is also a D-Link but I'm not positive of the model number. I believe it's the standard DI-624 wireless router.

Does this provide enough information? I really don't want to change any settings on my landlords router as I don't want to mess up anything on the network he already has setup. But I guess thats unavoidable. I also did create two separate device IP's but when I try to enter mine I still get his router and not mine. Maybe I've got it wrong but it seems strange.

Also is it necessary to use PCAnywhere???

Again thanks for the lengthy reply and any more help would be appreciated.

Reply to
markymark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.