Orinoco b/g Gold -- Nice hardware, lousy client utility?

Hi everyone,

I just picked up an Orinoco 802.11b/g Gold PC card and think the hardware is fantastic... but I am very disappointed with the lack of quality control on the Proxim Client Utility. The utility does a very poor job at managing profiles, doesn't provide complete control over the connection settings, and worst of all, tends to be tempermental with the connectivity. Sometimes it will simply drop the connection eventhough the signal strength is extremely high (even when I'm about 5-10 feet away from the AP). NetStumbler still detects the network, but the client utility drops the connection and requires restarting the radio, disabling/enabling the NIC, or sometimes restarting the PC. Another thing that drives me up the walls is that while I have profiles setup for the same SSID, but different MAC's, the client utility sometimes disregards the MAC address and will use only the SSID -- which tends to be a problem if you're in a neighborhood with a bunch of AP's with out-of-the-box configurations (a.k.a. SSID="linksys"). The client utility also tends to not get the right channel all the time. So it will think it established a connection, but has the wrong channel, so no connectivity is actually realized (no IP, etc.).

Has anyone experienced this kind of crazy behavior with the Proxim Client Utility? Anyone have any good workarounds? Is there a better client utility that can be used to have full control over the NIC and profiles?

I like the hardware, but hate the software.

Thanks everyone, X_HOBBES

Reply to
X_HOBBES
Loading thread data ...

Nope...I'm running Win2000 Prof.

Is there a nice 3rd party client utility I can use?

Thanks, X_HOBBES

Reply to
X_HOBBES

If you got XP you can let Win Zero control your WIFI and don't need to use the Orinoco software at all, but I find no problem with mine. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Cirond Winc, but it's not free.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.