One ISP, 2 Static IPs, 2 Linksys Routers, One internal network... ?

Ok, I have a situation that I can't seem to solve and hope someone here can shed some light.

I have one ISP connection that provides me with a number of static (public) IPs. I want to use 2 of them, each hosting a different domain name. (lets call tem domain1.com and domain2.com)

First, to get more than one connection to my WAN I have the incoming WAN connected to a switch, of course.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54GS connected (that provides wireless as well) and an older BEFSRU31 on the other. (which I plan to upgrade eventually).

WRT54GS = 10.2.1.1 (gateway mode) BEFSRU31 = 10.2.1.2 (tried both gateway and router mode) both using 255.255.255.0 internal network all using default gateway of 10.2.1.1

Now, lets say I have incoming email to domain1.com. It flows through the WRT router just fine to my internal Exchange server (10.2.1.15). Outbound works just fine. Everything seems to work just fine with the WRT and domain1.

incoming email through domain2.com does not work. I assume this is because te BEFSR passes it to the Exchange server which has a default gateway of the other router, so the conversation never happens and the session is dropped.

My question.. how to fix this? Am I missing a router on the inside perhap? And if so, what should I use... (prefer linksys hardware)

You might want to ask "why the second router" because port 25 (smtp) works just fine if I point both domains to router1, but for things like port 80 where I want it to point to different internal servers, this configuration doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Reply to
gopherhockey
Loading thread data ...

please click this link for reference:

formatting link
**&p_li=&p_topview=1

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
annie.ramos

Thanks, but that doesn't really address my issues.

First, all my servers are behind my router(s), not external. I control the ports that can reach my servers via the Linksys router.

For example, domain1.com comes to router1 and it forwards port 80 to an internal server. domain2.com comes to router2 and forwards port 80 to another web server internally. The problem is that all my internal systems use router1 as their default gateway, so when the web server tries to reply back to the originator on domain2.com it gets lost.

One router, at least the models I have, won't work because I can only forward one port 80 to one server via one wan request. It won't let me say "requests coming to public IP X.X.X.1 on port 80 go here, but requests coming to public ip X.X.X.2 on port 80 go there"

Reply to
gopherhockey

On 22 Jan 2007 07:25:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Why not set the gateway on web server 2 to router 2?

How about putting the web server for domain2 on a different port, using forwarding if necessary?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.