Making a repeater out of an access point and extra bit

Between me and my neigbour is a granite barn. I have a wireless access point in my house. I also have an old unused access point. I would like to put the unused access point in the window of the barn facing my neighbour and the an ethernet cable accross the barn to the window on the other side facing me were there would be some sort of client ethernet wireless adaptor connecting to my access point so my neighbour would then be able to connect their computers to the access point in my house and my computers.

The bit I'm stuck on is the wireless ethernet client adaptor bit. I thought initially that I could just use one of these gamiing adaptors but many of them say they only support connecting one computer and forwarding one mac address. Does this mean it would not work? I see the linksys wep11 supports many mac address's but it does not seem to be availble in the uk anymore.

Can amyone suggest any suitable gadgets, or if I'm on the wrong track?

802.11b is fine I'm ideally hoping for something slightly older I can pick up cheaply on ebay.

Anyway any help appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
ff
Loading thread data ...

ff hath wroth:

Who says that and what manufacturer or model number? Most game adapter will pass more than one MAC address.

See the FAQ at:

The ones tagged "multi" will bridge multiple MAC addresses. As far as I can tell, only the very old wireless ethernet client bridges will do only one MAC address.

Are you concerned about security? If so, make sure your prospective wireless client bridge can do WPA or WPA2. WEP is useless. Very few

802.11b devices support WPA or WPA2 encryption.

I have a mess of DLink DWL-900AP+ and Linksys WAP11 client bridges running on our neighborhood WLAN. Most have more than one computah behind the bridge so I know they will handle more than one MAC address. However, they only do WEP, so they're not very secure. I would really like to replace them, but have not found a good reason to create a crisis.

You can also use some routers as a wireless bridge or client bridge. Many Broadcom based routers will run DD-WRT firmware, that can act as a client, transparent bridge, access point, router, whatever. Because there are far more wireless routers sold than wireless client bridges, the prices of these devices are about the same even though they have more hardware inside. My favorite of the week is Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.