Losing connection on laptop with Belkin wirless card

Maybe someone here can give me some advice or had this problem and knows how to fix it.

I have a westell wireless DSL router from verizon. My desktop is connected directly to it. I have a notebook computer with a Belkin

802.11b PCMCIA wireless card (F506020 ver 2).

The drivers seems to work fine. I had WEP setup and MAC filtering. The laptop kept loosing the connection every few seconds so I just turned off all the wireless security on the router and set it up as an open network just to see if that was the problem. Still no better. Every few seconds it says "a network cable has been unplugged" and then it reconnects for a few seconds. Even if the laptop is sitting right next to the router it does this. There is nothing close to either of them that would cause interference (phones, microwave, monitors, tv, etc) and they are very close together, in the same room. The signal meter is always going crazy from high to low really fast. I tried reinstalling the drivers and taking the card out and putting it back in but still no luck. Any ideas on what is causing this? Maybe does belkin have issues with Westell? My router is 802.11g. Do the notebook cards with an antenna that stick up work better than the ones without ?

My laptop is an HP Pavillion if that helps and I'm running XP home on the laptop.

Thanks for any help or tips or anything. its greatly appriciated!!

Michael

Reply to
michael_holstein
Loading thread data ...

I am running Belkin wireless cards on three computers at work. On two computers, XP's WZC works well. On one of the computers, WZC will not work at all. All three computers are XP Pro.

If you are using WZC, you might try using Belkin's wireless utility.

Conversely, if you are using Belkin's utility, you might try switching to Window's Wireless Zero Configuration Service.

Reply to
Jerry Park

IF the wireless is disconnecting, you should recieve a warning 'limited or no connectivity'. 'network cable unplugged' refers to the wired ethernet NIC that you have not disabled. So disable the wired ethernet NIC, enable the wireless card.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks for all the help. It seems it was a defective card. I bought a new card and it works fine. The other card works for a few seconds at a time , on then off, etc. Not sure whats wrong with it, but I don't think it can be fixed, no flash updates for it on their website but thats ok, they're cheap on ebay to replace. Thanks again for the help though.

Reply to
Mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.