Looking for missing piece in WLAN long distance setup

Hello all, I am attempting to setup a friend with a WLAN and I am stuck on one last part. Here is the setup so far. The cable modem hookup is located at the bottom of a hill. He is trying to get the wireless connection up to the top of the hill through some dense foliage over ~400m. So I have the cable modem connected to a wireless router which has an external amplifier and a directional outdoor antenna pointing up the hill.

The good news is that I can get the signal at the top of the hill with no problem. I verified this with my PDA. The bad news is that I need to get that signal to his basement without any wires. The obvious thing (moving the PC to where the signal is strong) is not an option. So I am stuck on getting the signal that last little bit from the top of the hill into his basement.

The options I was looking into were:

1)Repeater 2)Outdoor Antenna at house with wireless router 3)Wireless Bridge

These are the problems I have with each of these options:

1) To get the best performance, the repeater would have to be outside. This is real tough because I cannot run any wires (for power) to it. I did see a product by Meraki that is solar powered, but I don't believe they are selling them yet. 2) The way I would want this to work is to have a router with two antenna feeds, one for the outdoor antenna and the other for wireless connections in the house. However, I don't believe one of these exists. 3) I did do a little googling about wireless bridges, but I am unable to get my thick skull to figure out how to make them work for me.

So im looking for any help on how to make this work. I have included a picture to make things more clear. The blue box with the ??? is the part I am searching for, but it doesn't have to be a single unit. In the picture, I am showing an antenna up at the house because that was my original design. I believe I will keep it even though I am getting some signal strength at the top of the hill.

Thanks in advance.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: wifi_site2.jpg | |Download:
formatting link
|+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
bigeeguy
Loading thread data ...

thread:

formatting link
try WDS.. from router to router...

Reply to
macosx

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.