SkypeIn Long Distance Only?

I have a SkypeIn number in the format 509-123-1234. I receive long distance calls, but it appears the SkypeIn number can't be dialed locally: 123-1234, 509-123-1234 and 1-509-123-1234 all get various forms of teleco message "call can't be completed."

Is this so for all SkypeIn numbers or am I running into special problems?

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

Are you calling this number from the same area code and exchange? What are the dialing rules in effect for your region? AFAIK it should work...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The town I'm in (Pullman, within the 509 area code) has numbers prefixed by any of 332 through 339. So it's possible to dial 332-1234 and get connected. It's also possible to call nearby towns with other prefixes, e.g. 882, 887 and so on with 882-1234 getting connected. There's a list of these prefixes under "Calling Instructions" in the Verizon phone book.

The options for prefixes offered by SkypeIn are 590, 643, 320, 293, none of which is listed in Verizon's "Calling Instructions".

I'm diall> "Bob" wrote:

Reply to
Bob

Ah, this sounds like a configuration or routing problem within Verizon, have you tried asking them what might be wrong?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Can people other places call you from POTS phones? If they can, Skype is set up OK.

Not necessarily. I gather there are a lot of ways to screw up a switch's configuration.

Reply to
John L

POTS long distance calls from friends living in other area codes come through OK. But if I make a call from another phone in the same town I get "call can't be completed" messages.

Veriz> >No. I thought of it as a SkypeIn problem, not a Verizon problem. >

Reply to
Bob

Rather than assuming that Verizon won't be able to help you, why not call them and try to point out the problem? Yeah, maybe you'll get some clue-free script monkey, but maybe all it'll take to fix it will be bringing it to their attention.

You could also try logging an error in Skype's system (whatever that is), I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out, in conjunction with Verizon.

There's nothing you can do (or anyone can help you with) here other than confirm that something's wrong with Verizon's switch programming, or something in a tandem(?) switch somewhere isn't doing the right thing. Only Verizon (or their trunk sources) can fix this. In fact, I'd bet Verizon is operating the switch that your 320 exchange is on, and reselling it to Skype.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

509-320-XXXX is a valid exchange code used by Level 3.

formatting link

509 - 320 Starbuck, WA WLWLWA015MD LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC - WA OCN: 6121 LATA: 676
Reply to
R-Guy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.