Linksys WRT54G default password is not valid after firmware upgrade

I have a Linksys WRT54G ver 6 wireless router. I just upgraded the firmware from

formatting link
(WRT54Gv5v6_v1.02.2_fw.bin), but cannot log into the router's advanced settings using the default password.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to leave the username field blank and "admin" for the password.

Reply to
matthew.j.krause
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

That's correct. Blank user name and "admin" for password.

If the problem continues, try:

1. If you're doing this via wireless (a bad idea), verify that it's your router that you're connecting to, not the neighbors. This is an amazingly common problem. I suggest you use an ethernet cable for initial configuration.
  2. Flush the web browser cache on your web browser.
  3. Try a different web browser. Firefox, IE6, Safari, Opera, etc.
  4. Cycle the power on the WRT54G v6. Leave it off for at least 15 seconds or so. Reapply power and try again.
  5. Grand reset. Punch the reset button on the back of the WRT54G v6. Hold it down for about 30-45 seconds. Don't let go. When it's done, do nothing for about 30 seconds while it restarts. Then, unplug the power for about 15 seconds, reapply power, and wait about 30 seconds for things to stabilize. That's probably overkill, but it's the only way I know to be sure that it's reset.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

from

formatting link
(WRT54Gv5v6_v1.02.2_fw.bin), but cannot log into the router's advanced

Thanks Jeff, I'll give it a shot tonight. I am configuring from an ethernet cable, i tried the grand reset, sort of, but when i powered it back on, i continued to hold the reset button. This seemingly whipped out my router software. In other words, after my attempt at a "grand reset" when i'd go to 192.168.1.1, i wouldn't be prompted with a login screen, rather one asking me to update my firmware. That's when i loaded the new firmware and now, i'm getting the password screen, but the password doesn't work. I'll give it a shot tonight again and see where i get, i'll even try another computer...thanks for the help

Reply to
matthew.j.krause

from

formatting link
> (WRT54Gv5v6_v1.02.2_fw.bin), but cannot log into the router's advanced

I've noticed this in the WRT54G v5 and v6 mutations. I don't know if this is the way it's suppose to work or some added feature. The offical reset to defaults cerimony is to power on, hold reset for about 30-45 seconds, release, wait, pray, and it should just clear the settings.

Also, if you try your method of holding down the button, and then turning on the power, with a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router, it will also wipe the firmware, requiring a TFTP firmware upload.

Well, if the grand reset and new firmware doesn't do the trick, then the problem can only be in your browser, browser cache, or something similar. Try my suggestions on switching browsers or clearing the browser cache.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.