Linksys Wireless N won't pick up unencrypted signals

I have both a wireless G and a wireless N receiver.

It seems to me the older wireless G picks up unencrypted signals but my new wireless N won't.

The wireless N will pick up encrypted signals I can't see with just the wireless G.

Both are Linksys.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but could Linksys have installed drivers in my new receiver that prevents me from picking up unencrypted signals?

Reply to
christianlott1
Loading thread data ...

On 24 Jul 2006 07:52:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

How do you know?

How do you know?

Very unlikely. Something else is almost certainly going on.

Reply to
John Navas

I can see an unencrypted signal when I use just the wireless G. I can't see that same signal using the wireless N (but I can see other encrypted signals the same).

Reply to
christianlott1

On 24 Jul 2006 10:56:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

How? With software? What software?

Reply to
John Navas

Both the provided linksys wireless N software and, after I shut that off, the windows wireless network manager.

Reply to
christianlott1

On 24 Jul 2006 12:52:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

In what way? Exactly. Does it not appear in the list of Available Wireless Networks? Even when refreshed. Even when the two devices are only a few feet apart?

Reply to
John Navas

When I have both turned on at the same time, I can't see the unencrypted signal.

When I have only the old wireless G, I can see the unencrypted signal.

When I have just the wireless N, the unencrypted signal does not come up. Ever.

Reply to
christianlott1

On 25 Jul 2006 06:43:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

See where? In View Available Wireless Networks? Refreshed? In Network Stumbler? Something else? It's hard to help you without knowing

*exactly* what is going on.
Reply to
John Navas

There are two areas where I can view the wireless connections - the windows wireless network window and the linksys software wireless display window that came with the linksys N receiver.

With the G, I only use the windows version. With the N, I've used both. The software makes it so I can only use one or the other at the same time. So I shut down one and refresh the list, shut down the other and refresh the list. I get the same results when the wireless N is enabled

- no unencrypted signals register, just encrypted.

Reply to
christianlott1

On 25 Jul 2006 08:23:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Sounds like something is screwed up in the driver settings. Check Properties -> Advanced for the wireless network adapter.

Reply to
John Navas

Exactly what in Advanced Properties would control something like this?

Reply to
christianlott1

On 25 Jul 2006 11:40:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Depends on the adapter, and I don't have that particular adapter.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.