Linksys Wireless-G Router and VPN

Compaq Presario notebook computer OS Win XP Pro Cisco VPN Client ver 4.8.00.0440

VPN problem:

When connecting to the router using standard Cat 5 network cabeling, I can authenticate to the remote server, but when connecting to the router using an "excellent" wireless connection, I can log in via VPN but I cannot access any network resources. It tells me something like the computer cannot be found and to contact the Network Administrator.

It doesn't seem to be a port issue since I can access everything when using a wired connection.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

RBollinger

Reply to
robboll
Loading thread data ...

robboll hath wroth:

Model number of laptop? Maker and model number of wireless card?

Maker and model number of wireless router? Do you have the latest firmware installed? Do you have the various "VPN PassThrough" protocols enabled in the router? Are you using any other protocols besides TCP/IP (i.e. NETBEUI or Novell)?

One of the odd problems I've seen is the inability of the wireless part of a router to pass broadcasts, while the wired part passes the broadcasts just fine. This was fixed quite a while ago on one router I know about, but the problem may have risen from the dead. It would have been nice if you would have bothered to supply the router maker and model number.

I find the term "access" to be next to useless, however your creative paraphrase of the error message does suggest that you're trying to use the Windoze Network Browser to view resources on a remote server. Instead of doing that, try using the following, which do not require passing broadcasts:

Start -> run \\\\server_name\\share_name \\\\ip_address_of_server\\share_name You can also do it without the share_name part, which should show the available shares on the server. If that screws up, try:

Start -> run -> cmd net view \\\\server_name\\share_name net view \\\\server_name\\share_name which does the same thing.

Tips? You're expecting me to leave you a gratuity for this? Isn't it enough that I try to answer your questions that you now want me to pay for the honor? If anything, you should leave me a tip (via PayPal).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.