Linksys or Netgear?

Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

linksys has seemed much better from my experience.

i've had both installed at a few business locations, and the linksys always seems to cause less problems. i've been called in to help with netgear routers WAY too often. and usually the solution is just to throw in a linksys, or something commercial, but linksys usually seems to solve the problem.

smowk

Reply to
Smowk
Loading thread data ...

Is there a preferred vendor for a home router? Which is the least problematic? I'm looking at the WRT54G or WGR614 respectively.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

What issues have you seen where replacing a netgear with a linksys fixed the problem?

Reply to
George

I can't. I need to pick which is "the best" because I'll be buying

100 of them for remote users at my company. I'm the IT guy in charge of deciding which is best for the home/VPN users. I do have both for testing, and both perform okay, but in just a few days testing I won't be able to tell the long term longevity.

If I wanted to spend a little more money on a better (read: more reliable) all-in-one router/firewall/WAP, which would be the best bet?

-Bob

Reply to
Rob

charge

They are cheap enough to by 2 for every site, that way your a** is covered. I have had no problems with linksys, havent used a netgear but I find that netgears website has a lot better info than linksys which counts for something.

3com is also a nice product and I think are a step above some other brands. Netgear has some business class firewall routers that are probably more reliable too. Business class equipment is designed for reliability, home stuff is cheap and uses the cheapest components but are also the cheapest to replace if they fail.

I would read all the faqs and support issues for both products and make sure that your environment does not include something that is problematic in a particular brand. Before you ship them make sure they have the latest firmware fixes!!

Reply to
Airhead

Smowk wrote in news:Xns95F68E572D0FDSmowkieBandit@

216.196.97.131:

Did you understand Netgear Support's English? Last time I called, Netgear support was in "Tennessee", but they had Indian accents. I didn't know Tennessee had a large Indian population.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

"George" wrote in news:K4SdnQw snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

all 3 of the times i've installed a netgear router/access point, it's caused random (and I mean random) computers at each location to just lose their connection. reboot, it just sits there in "acquring network address" stage. I've used linksys adapters, netgear adapters, and belkin adapters, all causing the same problem (which led me to believe it was the AP/router (which it was...i guess). I've also tried using windows xp's network utility, and the 3rd party utilities to connect...same thing.

deleting the profile, and re-setting up the AP/router on the client (WEP and all) seems to work, but most of the office workers don't really understand a lot of that stuff, and teaching them 3 & 4 times doesnt' seem to help either. this is why i installed linksys APs/routers (with the newest firmware, which of course i tried with the netgears) which worked perfectly. I literally haven't been back since...

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

Lucas Tam wrote in news:Xns95F69020C370nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130:

come on now...everywhere has a large indian population these days

Reply to
Smowk

Doug Jamal wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

thats the problem i had with netgear...and the wrt54g fixed it right up...weird

Reply to
Smowk

I think that is the landing point for their VoIP network.

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXLinks.usenet.us.com wrote in news:cu8h46$hjm$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net:

That's what I thought. I wish Indian call centers wouldn't pretend they're in North America. The fact that the agents have heavy accents and don't understand common North American slang pretty much gives away they're not in Canada/US.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

I've used both and the Netgear product performed better for me and my situation. Both are popular brands for home and small business use and you will find people who swears by them both. Still, like any other product, there are pros and cons. In my experience, The Linksys WRT54G kept dropping signals, but other linksys products did not. In regards to the Netgear WGR614 (my experience has been with version 1), it kept overheating and needed to be rebooted too much. On the other hand, other Netgear products performed flawessly. Maybe I had a couple of lemons...maybe not. Anyway, just pick one, take it home and try it. If it's not to your liking, take it back and try the another brand. You're soon to find one that will suit your needs. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

pretty much the same - buy the cheapest ;)

Reply to
MM

Rob wrote in news:uctf01pj8kbsduotlad44j6cmbs9ltlhc9 @4ax.com:

Check out Zyxel or Sonic Firewall. They offer better grade stuff. Sonic Firewall does have an expensive licensing scheme tho, so you might be better off with Zyxel's Zywall routers/firewalls.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Do you mean Sonicwalls? We use Sonicwalls for some of our permanent sites, but they are too expensive and WAY too cumbersome for an initial setup to be mass deployed. If Sonicwall would fix their registration requirement on that extremely slow web site, I might change my mind. However, we don't need lan-to-lan VPN's anyway, hence the Sonicwall's high price. Zyxel is the same way. 3COM I never considered. They are under $100 for the 3COM Officeconnect cable/DSL router. Any experience with those??

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Robert wrote in news:g_7Od.3180$UX3.3065 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I think that's true with most of the wireless adapters/routers/APs. At first, they weren't too...ROBUST...but now they work fine for me.

in other words

UPDATE FIRMWARE ASAP if your using something older

Smowk

Reply to
Smowk

I'd go with Linksys. I only messed with a Netgear router once (friend who needed help getting it up), but found it to be quite flakey. All the Linksys hardware that I've gone through in public (hotel, hot spots, etc) always was very stable though.

I'm using all D-Link (router, two AP's, bridges, repeater, client hardware, etc) at home and have found D-Link to work very well -- once it's up -- however the documentation for D-Link can be atrocious. General information is liberally provided with hardware and their "support" web site, but getting more technical information needed for many "advanced features" can be like pulling teeth. I've found myself using Linksys's web site on many occassions to answer questions about my D-Link hardware. Go figure.

D-Link = excellent hardware (at least in my experience), but horrible documentation.

Reply to
Eras

Have good luck with Linksys. Did have trouble with the firmware on some models, but they finally got it right.

Reply to
Robert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.