Library Wife Access Problems

Hi, I was able to access the Access Points in the county library here with no problem. Then one day I tried to connect and it would show connected for a few seconds and then not connected. I have no problem with other wifis just the libraries. I have tried a different wifi card and the only clue I have is that the I.P. address is failing to renew, other than that I have tried to renew and release the address through command line and nothing. I can't get any support from the library staff since they don't offer any. Any ideas, why I can't connect?

Thanks for your help

Ken

Reply to
jqmoney
Loading thread data ...

You got problems at home? May I suggest Lavetra.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I can't really tell what's going on, but I have a guess. You probably saved a "profile" or something similar when you connected to the library. Delete it and your laptop will pretend it's a new connection and start over with the settings. It's probably something the library changed, and is different from what you saved.

The failure to renew is a good clue as it means that you have a saved IP address from a previous session. That probably means that the library system has saved your MAC address from a previous days session but has given out that corresponding IP address to someone else in the meantime. It can easily be cured by having the library power cycle or reboot their wireless access point, but i doubt they'll do that for you. What really needs to happen is to have them shorten their DHCP lease time to perhaps an hour instead of a day.

It's also possible that a similar problem was created on your laptop. If you use the hibernate or sleep mode on your laptop, by simply closing the lid, going home, and coming back the next day, you'll find that it still has the previous days settings. These settings may or may not work depending on how the library router DHCP lease is configured. The best suggestion is to reboot your laptop. If that doesn't work try: Start -> Run -> cmd ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /release wait about 10 seconds ipconfig /renew That should do the same thing as a reboot but doesn't always work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I tried everything you suggested, but it's still failing to connect and renew the I.P. but I have no problem connecting to my wife at home. Any other ideas, like TCP or something like that?

Reply to
jqmoney

Wifi! I assumed it was just a typo the first time.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I'm not sure I can help you connect to your wife. However, if you've run a virus and worm scanner on her, and there are no chile processes running, I'll be happy to run a few tests and see if I can consumate the connection. It's probably some cryptic protocol incompatibility issue. Have you tired talking with her? If you purchased the chastity belt option, also verify that the proper key exchange protocol (TKIP etc) is selected. If none of these suggestions work, I suggest purchasing one of the performance enhancing add-ons that can be found in your email spam filter.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Computer? Operating system? Wi-Fi adapter? Wi-Fi driver?

Reply to
John Navas

"tired"?

Jeff, looks like you have Freudian SLIP protocol error.. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yep. Same as PPP (past, present, and puture).

Anyways, it was difficult to type while chuckling and thinking about how I was going to get her to wimax.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.