large file acroos wireless network

Reply to
Teddybare
Loading thread data ...

For a quick cure, disable wireless in lap and connect with cat 5 to the router. Transfer time will be faster ( 100 vs 54) and should get the job done.

Reply to
Teddybare

I used to get this a lot a long time ago when I was using some cheap Netgear AP's. Changed them for Cisco 350's and the problem went away.

My guess is that the AP processor or radio or both overheated and just gave up.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Hi I have 2 xp machines one wired to a Netgear 384 router, the other attached wirelessly. I have no problems with the wirelessconnection on a day to day basis.

I have a 3.8 gig video file on the wired pc. I need to transfer it to the remote pc as that's where my DVD burner is. However the connection seems to drop at various stages. I've got as much as a third across before it crashes - the network not being recognised presumably during some form of renegotiation?.

I understand that connections need to be negotiated every now and then Could this be the cause. The best I've been able to find is that a "lease" runs out but that's not for a couple of days. Any idea what the problem is and how I might get round this?

Cheers

Foz

Reply to
Foz

Oh. However, as soon as the connection breaks I can start to paste the file again and off it goes transferring quite happily for a few minutes - could be 5 mins+ before it goes again...

Oh. However, as soon as the connection breaks I can start to paste the file again and off it goes transferring quite happily for a few minutes - could be 5 mins+ before it goes again...

Reply to
Foz

It's not a laptop - It's a pc so not so easy!

Reply to
Foz

Crossover cable mean anything to you?

Reply to
E

yeah, go get one from here, dont go pc world

formatting link

Reply to
ad

Yes, I have a crossover cable but not the length of my house!

I may resort to temporarily removing the hard disk and adding it as a spare in the other pc to transfer "locally". Thought someone might have been able to say why I'm getting the disconnects.....

Reply to
Foz

It's not hard to make one the length of your house but yes I accept that it's not the solution that you're looking for.

Well you could go a little better and stick it in an external firewire/usb2 enclosure and just move it between devices.

I gave you the only comparison that I had. I don't know why my Netgears used to disconnect during large transfers either but I also had it happen when receiving a particular email, don't know why, never looked into it enough but I just cabled to pick up that one email and then it worked wirelessly again.

Solution was to change AP's to a different vendor.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Might be cheaper to buy a DVD burner for the box with the file on it.

David Taylor wrote:

Reply to
Airman QPD

yes, that had crossed my mind Airman!

Reply to
Foz

For very large file transfers I agree, however in my case, it wasn't just about transferring one file though, I needed large but not huge to be reliable via wireless.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.