How does setting a static IP on a mobile device prevent linux router from assigning that IP address?

Have any links to these "mesh routers"?

Reply to
Dan Purgert
Loading thread data ...

a slew of them have been released in recent months.

1st Tri-Band Mesh WiFi System Tri-Band Mesh allows more devices to connect to Orbi without losing speed or range.

The Eero's satellite achieve 99.6 percent of the main unit's download speeds, and the Orbi's satellite achieve 99.9 percent of the main unit's download speeds. That means the main units were transmitting data to the satellite units efficiently.

Reply to
nospam

In , Dan Purgert suggested:

I googled and found some questions about countries on the Mikrotik forums (Mikrotik is in Latvia, by the way).

formatting link

One answer from a Mikrotik employee implied that you can set the country to anything you want - but that would be illegal in some places - and so they did not recommend doing that.

formatting link

But I did not find a definitive answer in my searches, but the implication is that there's nothing mechanical stopping you from setting transmit power and frequencies to anything you want.

formatting link

Time and time again people asked questions about country settings, where the implication is similar to how bicyclists talk about trails on private property on Strava. It's apparently a well publicized secret that you can set a Mikrotik radio to any country you want to set it to.

formatting link

The analogy is that you can drive a car at extra legal speeds, or you can use a truck as a terrorist weapon - it's not the vehicle that is the weapon but the driver's use of it as a weapon.

formatting link

So all I can tell you is that the Mikrotik RB411 routerboard that I have (which is apparently a very common unit), allows so many countries that I didn't bother to count them explicitly.

Mine is set to the USA but I guess this begs the two questions:

1. *Which country allows the highest WiFi power?*
  2. (For the frequency you care about.)

PS: I suspect the USA allows the highest power anyway - but I do not know that for a fact - and I suspect that Europe allows more frequencies than does the USA (but I also don't know that for a fact).

Reply to
Tomos Davies

In , Char Jackson suggested:

We are both correct in that we all know an "FTP Server" has to be on the device. AFAIK, almost everyone has ES File Explorer on their Android device.

I'm sure there are some who don't - but "almost everyone" does. :)

If Android came native with a "server", I'd use that (SMB? FTP?). Is there a native 'server' on Android that talks, over wifi, to Windows & Luinux?

Reply to
Tomos Davies

We both are correct in that, out of the box, the v5 Linksys/Cisco WRT54G (probably one of the most common routers of the day) didn't do wireless repeating.

It also had a small footprint of RAM, so, it didn't do the normal third-party firmware.

And, yet, since it was one of the most popular routers of its day, they did make a special small-footprint firmware for it, which did act as a wireless repeater.

However ... it was just a spare router so I didn't want to expend much energy into it, and there already was Ethernet to the gameroom, and the fact it was only an 802.11g router was fine for what the kids were doing.

However, you just brought up an interesting question, since it's set up (AFAICR) as a bridge.

I currently have to 802.11n access points hung onto the "g" router (acting as a bridge to the "n" SOHO router.

Does that mean I only get "g" capabilities on my "n" access points?

Reply to
Tomos Davies

In , Tomos Davies suggested:

I got the instructions for setting it up, long ago, from alt.internet.wireless.

I just checked and the wirer repeater is NOT set up as a bridge.

formatting link

It's set up as "Automatic Configuration".

Anyway, I wonder aloud what happens when I hang "n" access points on a "g" router, which is tied to an "n" main router?

Reply to
Tomos Davies

OK, I see what you mean. In my experience, the vast majority of routers found in homes were not supplied by the ISP, but it sounds like your experience might differ.

Fine, but I see what you did there; you qualified it with "for a non cached query". I agree that non-cached queries aren't helped by having a local resolver, but non-cached queries very often get followed by cached queries in actual practice, so there should still be some benefit (until the TTL expires).

Reply to
Char Jackson

That surprises me. I recently added ES File Explorer to my Android phone, more than 4 years after having Android phones, but I don't know anyone else IRL who has it installed. Maybe 'almost everyone' does and it's just not something that we talk about, but I'd still be surprised.

Reply to
Char Jackson

If the two 802.11n AP's are operating as AP's and connected to the WRT54G via Ethernet cable, then you get the theoretical 100Mbps throughput of the WRT54G's embedded switch. However, if the 802.11n AP's are operating as clients and the WRT54G is their AP, then you're limited to the "g" of the WRT54G.

Reply to
Char Jackson

That screen is only for the WAN side of the router, which I presume you're not using because you don't have anything connected to the WAN port. In most cases, you don't want an AP to have router functionality.

See my previous reply. It depends on what 'hang' means. :-)

Throughput speed of a multi-link path is limited by the slowest link.

If you're only using the WRT54G as a (100Mbps) switch, then it doesn't matter what the radio is capable of since it never comes into play. It also wouldn't matter what the WANLAN throughput is, which can be another bottleneck, since the router also doesn't come into play.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Therefore, unless the unit predates 2005, it is illegal in the United States.

(note that even if it pre-dates 2005, setting the country code to "not US" is still illegal).

The analogy is flawed, in that "all cars" (wireless APs) sold in the US as of 1/1/2006 (or whatever the cutoff date was) are required to have a speed governor factory installed and set at 60 MPH, that the end user (or their mechanic) cannot overcome.

No, it does not. "Begging the question" is a logical fallacy wherein you make a conclusion from an unsupported premise, a premise independent from the conclusion, or a premise that restates the conclusion.

For example - "Mikrotik makes better hardware than Ubiquiti because they had a bigger booth at this year's trade show."

(Ugh, and who'd have ever thought those forced-on-us Philosophy courses would ever come in handy :) ).

Reply to
Dan Purgert

Would be nice to see datasheets or similar ... but that's asking too much of Netgear :).

Nice to see companies are taking a new approach though.

Reply to
Dan Purgert

You may run into link bottlenecks with a dual-band 802.11n AP on a 100m switch, but you'd need devices on both of the APs radios running flat out.

Reply to
Dan Purgert

I looked about for what settings matter (since I set this up years ago). Is this the screen that shows what matters?

formatting link

The "operating mode" is set to "gateway".

I had assumed that it wouldn't go any faster than the slowest link.

The two access points are tied by wire to the back of the WRT54G router, so, I think the router, for them, is just a switch (set up as a "gateway").

Reply to
Tomos Davies

Agreed, but if this is for the kids, he may not care. ;-)

Reply to
Char Jackson

Thank you for that clarification since the two access points are wired to the Linksys WRT54G (which itself is wired to the SOHO "n" router).

The two 802.11n APs are wired so they are using the Linksys as a switch. Thanks for clarifying this as I had set it up based on a tutorial someone wrote on alt.internet.wireless years ago.

That tutorial worked perfectly the very first time, so I didn't really delve into the details since it just worked fine.

Same with setting up the access points. They worked the first time.

Reply to
Tomos Davies

Like you, I've had ES File Explorer on my phone since the early days. I just assumed everyone does - but - really - it's easily enough installed as is almost any FTP Server, so, it's a small price to pay for universality.

The reason it works so well is that *nothing* needs to be installed on the computer, which is the major huge flaw in all the Apple solutions, for example.

Once an FTP server is on the Android device, it can then be "mounted" wirelessly on *any* computer whose file explorer understand ftp URLs withotu adding anything to that computer.

The advantage is, for example, that you can go to your friend's house and on his computer, you can mount your phone to get and give files.

You can do that at work. You can do it at the library. You can do it with the gal across the table from you at Starbucks.

Reply to
Tomos Davies

References to "gateway" are referring to the router section, which you're presumably not using, so you can ignore all of that.

It sounds like you're using the WRT54G as a pure 100Mbps switch. No gateway stuff involved, no "g" radio stuff involved. Hopefully, the DHCP server is disabled.

I'm pretty sure you won't find any menu screens in the GUI that refer to the switch.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Wait, no, I said even though I've had Android phones for >4 years, I only recently installed ES File Explorer, and I didn't do it for the FTP server. In fact, I didn't even know it had FTP capabilities until this thread came along. :-)

Reply to
Char Jackson

Ah, I see, you say that you often have to buy them. Yes, that's different.

Correct. They try to also aggregate queries from other computers at the same home.

But those caches would be irrelevant if the operating systems used at homes by default did caching of their own.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.