help please setting up belkin router

Hi

I have been going mad trying to sort out a networking problem at home. I have an Orange (formerly wanadoo) proprietary wireless router which is called a livebox. I connect a Mac via ethernet to the livebox and have 2 pc's upstairs which i connect wirelessly.

The livebox has a terrible wireless signal level and causes me problems connecting wirelessly when more than 10m away. To cure this problem i purchased a belkin ADSL2+ mimo router (f5d9630-4) which has much better performance and connects wirelessly fine.

The only problem is that when i use the belkin router, the connection is very slow. It takes some time to resolve the IP address and is no where near as quick as the livebox. I have contacted both orange and belkin to find an optimal connection but with no joy. Tried PPoE, PPoA all without any change in speed.

So i thought that i would try and use the livebox as a gateway. Turn off wireless on the live box and connect the belkin to use as a wireless access point. I have had no success yet with the configuration and would like some help either in getting the belkin to perform on its own. Or to configure the livebox and the belkin together.

??

Mark

Reply to
lennymccoy
Loading thread data ...

Did Orange tell you that routers OTHER than your Livebox are acceptable to them? That is, they told you the Livebox could be removed and the Belkin installed in its place?

A quick scan of Google using the Belkin's model number shows many statements that the Belkin's router function cannot be disabled, so it can ONLY function as an access point. If that is true, you can't have two routers (the Livebox and the Belkin) on one Internet "feed."

Reply to
John Jones

Hi,

Are you certain that the Belkin can be configured to act as an access point?

I have a different wireless router (Dynex), but I think that it's the same or similar to the Belkin that you have (the web interface looks almost the same), and on my web interface, there's a "Use an an access point" choice.

I downloaded the PDF for the f5d9630, and it looks like there isn't such a choice, i.e., that you can't disable the firewall and router functionality?

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.