Going Slowly Nuts!

How long has this been going on? I notice exactly the same question in the DSLReports.com forum at from 09/15/05:

formatting link
agree with the very last answer. You have your DSL modem plugged into a LAN port instead of a WAN port. Your client computers are getting their IP address from Pipex.net instead of from your router. It works one at a time because Pipex will only assign one IP address at a time per connection.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I guessed it was a different model because I couldn't find an F5D7632-4. Nothing on the support page. I did find a F5D7631-4 |

formatting link
is as you describe but not yet available. There are references to a F5D732-4 all over the internet, so I guess it exists, but I couldn't figure out exactly what it is. Could you double check the model number?

Well, that just proves it's not the wireless part of the puzzle. If it's not a wiring issue, it might one of the dozen or so theories expounded in the thread I previously mentioned: |

formatting link
if anything sounds familar. Since the model number and symptoms are exactly the same as yours, methinks contacting the OP in that thread may help.

You might consider scribbling down your settings and peforming a grand reset to the router. Sometimes that helps (when I can't think of anything better to try).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am a complete beginner at networking computers. I suspect the basics are pretty easy really and it is just me who is a complete buffoon!

However, the problem: I have a Belkin Modem Router (F5D7632-4) set up. A desktop using a Belkin PCI card and a Laptop with Centrino. Both running Windows XP.

Both work perfectly - but not at the same time! It is either the one or the other - both show a connection, but only one can use the internet connection etc.

I have obviously missed something so extremely fundamental. So can someone please help?

gb (answers in a plain brown envelope etc.)

Reply to
Gary Bell

Thanks for the response Jeff, but in this case it isn't possible as it is a modem/router and the DSL connection is directly from the telephone micro filter so therefore different, I checked of course just in case anyway.

What is even more strange, I connected the laptop directly by cable into a LAN port and it wouldn't work over that (not even connect to the router setup on 192.168.2.1) when the desktop was OK on the wireless side.... I disabled the desktop and the laptop worked fine again, both on Lan and wireless.

gb

Reply to
Gary Bell

If Your DSL is ADSL you shouldn't have a filter installed before the modem/router. The filters only get used for your house phones.

alien

Reply to
alien

In the old days, in the UK, BT would come and install an ADSL faceplate on the master phone socket thus seperating out the ADSL frequencies from the phone frequencies. All extension sockets were off this ready filtered secondary and thus no filters were needed.

Then along came cost cutting and the introduction of the BT self install. At this point the customer sticks microfilters on ALL phone outlets to remove the DSL frequencies from the audio for the phone.

In the UK, it is illegal for anyone other than the phone company to change or tamper with the master socket so fitting of an alternate filtering faceplate, while an option, is illegal.

Given that all extension sockets are off the master and that nothing has changed on the master, fitting filters on all sockets is the correct thing to do and given that Gary lives in Dorchester, Dorset, UK, I think he has done the right thing. There is no bad effect on what he has done.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

formatting link
which is as you describe but not yet available. There are references

Jeff,

I followed your advice and had a look at the messages on the "Broadbandreports.com" forum (and joined). Sent an e-mail to the chap who had the same problem but as yet no reply. However reading through the other threads I noticed that one guy (an IT Tech) had a "Beta" Firmware update for this very router. To cut the story short - I installed the update and it seems to have resolved the problem (and some other minor things).

So I am at present very pleased and grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction.

cheers gb

Reply to
Gary Bell

Congratulations and amazing. I have a really bad attitude about Belkin as a company. If you search their product list, most have had at most 1 firmware update. Many have had none, especially obsolete products. Meanwhile, Linksys, Netgear, and Dlink have had many updates and fixes including for products they no longer sell. Either Belkin is perfect and makes no mistakes on their firmware, or they have a problem in the firmware update department.

Thank Google. I couldn't have found anything without Google.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But what Gary wrote was,

If the DSL connection is directly from the telephone micro filter, that filter is going to filter out ADSL frequencies (unless defective, which might allow it to pass the DSL frequencies with little or no problem). ONLY a phone should connect directly to a micro filter. And you might check to see if any of the filters are installed backwards. The filter works properly only when oriented in the correct direction.

Cheers!

jim b.

Reply to
James D. Beard

None of the microfilters that I've seen in the UK have a just DSL option or just a phone option, they all have two ports. One for phone, one for the ADSL modem. They don't connect two ways round, not possible. Yours might, ours can't.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.