Beginner VOIP Question

Hi,

I have a client that is starting a new company and will be fitting an office with a phone system in a month or so. As I prepare to implement all the needs of the company, I am trying to understand the benefits of going with a VOIP solution or a standard phone system.

The office is going to be 10-15 people. Can someone explain what the benefit of one or the other would be? I understand what VOIP is but I need to understand the business benefits. I would love to set it up and learn about it but want to make sure it is the right thing for my customer.

Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
KDawg44
Loading thread data ...

Real business benefit is large companies who can leverage internal network to route calls. AKA, instead of calling out your PBX to LA, it routes over your private WAN to LA where you have an office, branch, store, etc, and it goes out the local pbx there and saves long- distance. Also generally easier to provision and manage, but that isn't really hard savings, more soft. Although if you go with a voice over ip provider, it all comes down to monthly charges based on usage, which I'd assume they should be able to trend out. For 15 users, and a single entity company, it will probably all come down to the criteria in the last sentence...along with the obvious concerns of service, SLAs, quality, etc.

Reply to
Trendkill

Analog phone (key) systems are awfully cheap and reliable... Look for a Norstar (MICS) package on eBay, and compare that to something like Switchvox.

The initial cost of VoIP is likely to be higher, but depending on call volume and where you're calling, and how you're connected to the Internet, a VoIP provider might be cheaper, but I haven't found a compelling business case for VoIP in small offices yet, unless you were willing to use almost all soft-phones.

VoIP does have some soft benefits--you can write some cool integrated telephony/computer applications fairly easily, and if you have telecommuters it can make their 'phone' work as though they're in the office.

Regards, Heath

Reply to
Heath Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.