Draytek vs. Linksys

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of setting up a wireless network (home) and, from what I read in the internet, the best way of ensuring wireless security in the long run is by having either WPA2 or VPN enabled equipment.

I found a couple of ADSL modem/routers which I think would do, but I am not sure about the cost. The two devices are the Draytek Vigor 2800G and the Linksys WAG54GX2, both capable of running WPA2 and VPN networks.

The VPN seems to be better than WPA2, but do I really need both facilities in my router? Is there anything cheaper and equally (or sufficiently) good for home networking purposes? If I could choose between the two, which one would be better and easier to run?

Do these devices need NICs capable of WPA2 and VPN (with specific chipset), or can I simply use a 802.11g NIC and encrypt via some application in my computer?

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
Motorcyclesaur
Loading thread data ...

You seem to have your wires crossed ;-) VPN is for secure communication over the net to a specific node e.g. your employer. - nothing to do with WiFi. Yes, you would need network adapters capable of WPA2. Actually most people hardly bother with securing their WiFi link, yes it can be eavesdropped, but unlikely to get the hacker anything of much value. Remember, anything entered on secured website e.g. credit cards No's are encrypted already. Finally Draytek is an 'office class' kit, well featured, very reliable, but not cheap. You may want to get the VG version with VoIP ports, may save your some money over period of time. Regards, Martin

2600VGi - never missed a bit in 30 months
Reply to
Martin²

Not necessarily. At least one regular here has a VPN server between his wireless router (or possibly in it) and his internet connection - so all wireless connections are secured by VPN. It's doable - not certain it's worthwhile.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Er... not really: it rather seems to be a "decryption" problem :-)

Ok. Only my laptop connects via a VPN, but this is already taken care of by a programme running on it, and therefore I don't think the VPN will be needed in my wireless router (actually, now that I think about it I connect the VPN only via a cable connected to the router).

Ok. So, if I have, say, one WPA2 capable router and two PCs, one equipped with a WPA2 card and one with a Netgear WG311 v2 (I think it can do WEP), can I connect the router with both? In other words, can the router (I noticed that the DrayTek 2800G supports both) deal with two different standards at the same time?

Thanks for clarifying this. I was already aware about it, the "problem" is actually to prevent others from easily connect to my network.

How does it compare with the cheaper (though still expensive) Linksys WAG54GX2?

That's another thing, but I'll need a VoIP adapter that connects to more than one VoIP provider at the same time... I'd rather prefer to wait and buy a separate box , which I could also use with any other routers if I happen to be abroad for example.

Plus, I have another question: what is the maximum upstream speed of the Draytek? They mention in their website that downstream is up to 8Mbps (ok with me), but what about the upstream?

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
Motorcyclesaur

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.