Capture and redistribute Wireless?

I have three WEP encrypted wireless networks that are available to me. I have the keys for all of them and was wondering what is the easiest way to capture the strongest signal and redistribute it for 4 other computers? Can I use a single PC with a High Gain Antenna? But then how do I redistribute?

Reply to
HotRod
Loading thread data ...

Good question... i'm looking for the answer too.... i got several access points open to public .. wen i use my notebook i got weak signal n often disconnected... so i bought a new wireless router n the signal strong enough to reach my uncle's house... but i dunno how to make the connection works(router to router n share internet access) ... to run

200m LAN cable sounds so silly.. any1? :)
Reply to
Linux

On 12 Oct 2006 09:35:11 -0700, "Linux" wrote in :

Wireless client bridge (possibly with high-gain antenna) for the remote connection, cabled to a local wireless access point (also a bridge), ideally on different minimally-overlapping channels.

Reply to
John Navas

Would this allow me to change connections as my signal strength changed or would I need to set-up a typical client bridge (Make sure the SSIDs are the same etc.) I'm looking for a solution that just tells me what connections are available their strength and then prompts me for the WEP key or whatever. But I need to be able to share the connection with other computers. I was starting to look at setting up a signal PC with wireless card because it would allow me to sue software to monitor the connections instead of needing to log into the client router. Are there any client routers that allow monitoring "locally"?

Reply to
HotRod

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:31:54 -0400, "HotRod" wrote in :

Why would signal strength change? That's usually pretty stable.

You typically use a web interface in the wireless client bridge to configure connections.

To use a computer (with Internet Connection Sharing or bridging), you would need both a wireless adapter for the remote connection, and either a second wireless adapter for a local ad hoc network, or a wired connection to a separate wireless access point for a local infrastructure network. You'd probably then be doing Double NAT, which can be problematic.

Reply to
John Navas

I have no idea why the signal strength changes? BUT it does, some days my notebook will connect to any of the signals and then other days I need to hunt for a connection. IF I setup a PC with a PCI wireless card and high gain antenna and then hardwire the same PC into a wireless router would that work for sharing? I have lots of extra wireless routers around.

Reply to
HotRod

Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread -- it's confusing.

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:22:17 -0400, "HotRod" wrote in :

A high gain antenna might well eliminate any need to connect to different access points, making a wireless client bridge convenient, thus avoiding Double NAT.

You want a wireless access point for the local network, not a wireless router, so set up your wireless router as a wireless access point. (Instructions in the Wi-Fi wiki below.)

Reply to
John Navas

I'll have a look at the suggested sites. Sorry for switching posting styles. I prefer when people Top post so that I don't need to scroll to the bottombut I'd gotten lots of slack from other newsgroups that prefer bottom posting. It's hard to keep straight.

One of main objectives is to make a sytem that allows me to switch connections easily and also be able to monitor signal strength, this should also help with the initial setup.

Reply to
HotRod

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:20:41 -0400, "HotRod" wrote in :

Assuming you're not in a cat and mouse game of stealing access (no offense intended), then (and with all due respect) I think you're trying to solve the wrong problem -- with a proper antenna there should be no need to switch host access points in a fixed location. (I need to do that on a boat when switching marinas, but that's a different issue -- once in a given marina, I almost always stay on the same access point.)

Reply to
John Navas

I'm starting to wonder if my problems have more to do with the machines around my computers than the antenna's and routers I'm trying to use. DEpending on the day I may have as many as all three connections or just 1, but always a different one and even then a constant connection is rare. I'm currently using outdoor omni and unidirectional Hawking antennas.

Reply to
HotRod

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:44:58 -0400, "HotRod" wrote in :

A high-gain directional antenna not only improves signal gain, but also reduces interference from outside sources, which might well be part of your problem.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.