Can I put two broadband service

Hi

I currently have comcast which I will disconnet after I get DSL.

My question is, is this the procedure to follow?

- To set up DSL, I would need to do is disconnet the router from the comcast cable,

- I should just do DSL set up without router

- then when I want to set up with the router, will I need to configure the router again, or do I not need to. BTW, I have a linksys wireless router; I do not have wirless capability on my PC and just use cable to connect form the router to PC.

Reply to
ME
Loading thread data ...

I have BellSouth DSL and this is how it works for me... I don't know which service you are using and whether it will be different.

You will get a DSL router from your service provider. First, you will have to get that working with a dedicated PC and no router. Connect the router to the phone and directly to a PC. Boot up with the PC set to get it's IP address via DHCP. Then you have to go to the modem setup to enter in you PPPoE login and password. This is typically accessed via a web page (see your docs). Enter in your info and you should connect to the internet via DSL.

At this point, you haven't touched your cable connection or the router, which is good since you can use that to connect to the internet if you run into problems.

The next step is to introduce the router. To do this, you need to turn off the DHCP server on the modem and put the modem into bridge mode (again, check your docs). Once you do this, it becomes a little more tricky to connect to the modem with your PC. If you have problems, you may have to reset the modem and start from the beginning. Doesn't happen often though, since the process is pretty simple and reliable.

Once the modem is setup, connect your PC directly to your router and hook the router up to the modem via the WAN port. Log in to the router management page (see router documentation) and set up the router to use PPPoE. When you do this, you will get prompted to enter in your DSL user ID and password. Enter that information and it should connect. That is generally all you have to do.

Bill

ME wrote:

Reply to
BCage

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
ME

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.