Bridge for REMOTE OUTDOOR project.

I'm trying to use wifi bridges to connect a seismic datalogger high on a cliff to a computer a half mile away in a valley. This has been successfully done with a colleague's equipment using Senao/Engenius NCB-????(indoor model). So just order the same thing, right? Well, I tried... and I got a device (NCB-3220) that uses 48Volts, not 12Volts, despite the Engenius spec sheet listing the device at 12Volts, but it came with an AC->48VDC adapter. This is useless... it is infeasible to drag 4 12V batteries up the cliff.

I also ordered 2 outdoor bridges from Senao/Engenius, (the EOC-3220+ and the EOC-8610). BOTH are 48 Volts, BOTH reset themselves randomly (and then you have to go in via serial port to reset to factory defaults), one (8610) cannot even be reset to factory defaults, and so far, the customer service from ENGENIUS has been AWFUL!

Needless to say, I'm pretty fed up with Senao/Engenius. I need a couple of wifi bridge of some sort, at least one needs to be 12 Volts, and... this is the kicker... they actually need to work! Any suggestions?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
cleo
Loading thread data ...

Call the distributor where you got the equipment.

The Senao product data sheets aren't clear on just what it needs for power. One sheet says it conforms to IEEE802.3af which is indeed 48 volts, but another sheet says 12 volts. With that said, I can't be for sure what they are doing, but can give some ideas for when you call them.

Some products that claim "PoE" are really not true PoE. The power units are nothing more than than a splitter box that pulls out the spare pairs of the CAT5 cable and feeds 12 volts (typically) from a wall wart power unit back to the device.

Other products do indeed use 48 volts. Typically there is a 120 VAC power supply with 48 VDC out that is inserted into the CAT5 as described above.

Reply to
DTC

Are you absolutely sure it was AC ->48VDC and not AC->12VDC? the AC->48VDC is normally supplied with the outdoor models. If your NCB-3220 has an FCC-ID No NI3-CB32106001 then the Test Report listed this as either :-

1. 12VDC from AC Adapter or
2.48VDC from POE Section 3 (General Info)

This is useless... it is infeasible to

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.