Belkin F5D7230-4 delay

Hi all -

Just got cable broadband access at this house, and got a Belkin F5D7230-4 802.11g router to distribute things. From the get-go, there was a delay in connections through the router, even on the wired ports. With the computer connected directly to the modem, "ping google.com" generates a response every second, as expected. Put the router in the middle, and the pings are 5-6 seconds between results. The DNS resolution is quick, but the actual traffic gets clogged up somewhere. Other traffic (e.g., web surfing) is similarly delayed, typically when loading the page initially.

The router was updated with the latest firmware (8.01.21), with no apparent effect.

Suggestions?

Zig

Reply to
AssemblyZig
Loading thread data ...

Hmmm, Maybe your ISP has not enough bandwidth. Try at different time of the day. Don't blame the router.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'd like to not blame the router, but it's pretty tightly linked. No router, faster connection. Router in loop, connection delays. Take it out, get the speed back.

It's been a consistent delay characteristic through the day/evening, on all three machines tying in on the router (2 XP, 1 Linux).

It occurs to me that the router is doing NAT; perhaps that's a source of delay, in setting up a new connection? Or the firewall functionality, for that matter. It doesn't seem to be DNS, as that resolution happens quickly.

Still hoping for a slam-dunk....

Zig

T>

Reply to
AssemblyZig

Hi, Tried with only one computer hooked up at a time?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
AssemblyZig

Check the cable, Woody

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Maitland Florida? Road Runner?

What to do:

1. Take the router out of the picture and connect your PC directly to the cable modem.
  2. Run every diagnostic you can think of: tracert ip_address_of_roadrunner_gateway ping ip_address_of_roadrunner_gateway tracert your_favorite_web_server Look for where the latency increases.
  3. Run
    formatting link
    (Virginia) and any other online diagnostic and speed test. Are you getting the advertised speeds?
  4. Analyze the results and see if there's a pattern. If the delays are always between you and RoadRunner, then you either have a broken cable modem or RR has a problem.

If that looks good, then do it again with the router installed. Do it from a wired ethernet connection to take wireless out of the picture. The results should be identical. If not, then the router is broken.

Try it with wireless. The wireless should be faster than the RR connection so the result should be about the same as with the wired connection.

Incidentally, I spend about an hour troubleshooting a customer DSL connection with erratic performance and flakey downloads. I eventually found the miswired ethernet cable between the modem and router. Make no assumptions and check everything.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Here be common problem of the marsupial creature which be looking like big mouse/mini rat. Creature not so nice because he like eating ethernet cable. Before cable fully broken by creature all strange faults present. I be thinking it to do with the not match of the impedance and the wave reflections which beget the errors.

You be checking your cables.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

the assumption we are all making is that you are comparing like with like - ie PC connected using Enet and Enet WAN between cable androuter.

If not, then could be other stuff.....

1. does the local LAN work reliably?

check ping etc to the router from the PC - if that is OK, then that particular cable is OK there (although you may need a crossover / or not between the router and WAN).

1. if the router lets you - run diags from the router interface, so you are only testing the WAN.

FWIW some netgears will let you test DNS, use ping, and so on.

if all OK, then my guess is probably a config mismatch.

1. check the settings when cable is directly connected on the PC - MTU, IP, DNS adr and all that.

then compare against the router. any differences then need looking at.

a UK cable modem site that may help (although no guarantee NTL / Telewest use anything like your setup)

formatting link
(links to Chetnet will help as well)

Reply to
stephen

I'm sure I wasn't hallucinating, but the characteristics today are different than yesterday. Back then, quick pings to yahoo.com without router, slower pings with. Today, it's slow no matter the configuration. Seems that some entity about five hops in (still in the RR realm) introduces the delay.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The NW cables are all fine, reliable comms, just a delay when establishing a network link. And when did "traceroute" become "tracepath"? :)

Zig

stephen wrote:

Reply to
AssemblyZig

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

It's a Linux replacement for traceroute or Windoze tracert with MTU discovery:

There's a Windoze version called mturoute:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

well, I'm suffering from the same exact problem.

connecting directly to the cable modem produces no delays. if I go back to my previous setup with the linux box serving as an internet gateway using firestarter everything works fine, as soon as I connect to the internet with the router it starts delaying anything comming from the wan. (access to internal servers is as quick as it's always been)

the router reports firmware F5D7230-4_UK_8.01.07 and hardware F5D7230-4

I'm using all sorts of clients, windows XP, Mac OS, Linux (several flavours)...

if I try to ping google for example (from the mac client) I get;

lap-mac:~ np$ ping google.com

PING google.com (64.233.167.99): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 64.233.167.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=242 time=178.09 ms 64 bytes from 64.233.167.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=164.69 ms 64 bytes from 64.233.167.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=242 time=168.274 ms 64 bytes from 64.233.167.99: icmp_seq=3 ttl=242 time=164.455 ms 64 bytes from 64.233.167.99: icmp_seq=4 ttl=242 time=155.613 ms ^C

from what I gathered from you incial post this is exacly what you've got. so...you're not alone, man.

any new ideas are welcome, every> I'm sure I wasn't hallucinating, but the characteristics today are

Reply to
npovoa

well...

I removed the router's DNS entry from the client computers (in my case

192.168.1.1) and added my isp's DNS and things are flowing A LOT better.

Cheers, NP

Reply to
npovoa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.