802.1X wireless connection without WEP

Hello,

Please, does someone know if it is possible to connect with Vista Wirless to an AP with configuration 802.1X but without static WEP and without dinamic WEP (without encryptation only with authentication

802.1X) ?

How I can realize such connection, if it is possible?.

Thank you so much in advance.

Frank

Reply to
Frank
Loading thread data ...

Frank hath wroth:

Ummm.... apples and oranges. WEP is an encryption standard. 802.1x is an authentication standard.

Dynamic WEP allows the access point to deliver a temporary WEP key to the client. This is normally done by a RADIUS server, a type of

802.1x authentication service. This is normally done with WPA which is far more secure than WEP, but can be performed with dynamic WEP.

Your subject line contradicts your terse description. Are you trying to make 802.1x RADIUS authentication work without WEP (no encryption), or without dynamic WEP (temporary key)? It should work just fine with either method as encryption has nothing to do with authentication.

However, tell that to Microsloth. They have somehow managed to conglomerate dynamic WEP with 802.1x thus reducing their available operating configurations. Your choices are: Security type Select the method used to authenticate a connection to the wireless network. The choices are the following:

- No authentication (Open) Open system authentication with no encryption.

- WEP Open system authentication with Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP).

- WPA2-Personal Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) with a preshared key.

- WPA-Personal Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) with a preshared key (also known as a passphrase).

- WPA2-Enterprise WPA2 with IEEE 802.1X authentication.

- WPA-Enterprise WPA with IEEE 802.1X authentication.

- 802.1x IEEE 802.1X authentication with WEP (also known as dynamic WEP).

It would appear that you have the limited choice of WPA2, WPA, or dynamic WEP, and nothing else if you're going to use 802.1x authentication with Vista. Bummer...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah what Jeff said....Good job...took the word right out of my mouth man.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Simar

"Doug Simar" hath wroth:

- I hate one line comments.

- I really hate one line comments, which quote the entire previous message.

- I really especially hate one line comments, which quote the entire previous message, and don't have anything to offer about the original question.

- I really especially hugely hate one line comments, which quote the entire previous message, that don't have anything to offer about the original question, and which even the author doesn't give a deleted explicative about reading.

- However, I do sympathize with those that have only one word in their mouth.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[snicker mode on]

Tell us how you really feel.

(four lines)

[snicker mode off]
Reply to
DTC

DTC hath wroth:

Let me tell you how I feel, All that I say is quite real. Trust me when I now proclaim, Wi-fi and magic are the same.

Nothing works, and nothing fits, All things new just obsoletes. Documents are much too long, All you know is very wrong.

Buzzwords tend to just confuse, Acronyms I get to over-use. What I write just wastes my time, but it's such fun to make things rhyme.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.