500GB Drive on WLAN; access thru workgroup and domain?

Hello all!

I have the following setup:

1. A TeleWell TW-EA510 ADSL modem/router is connected to a 2MBit line to the Internet.

1. Two laptops use this Internet connection and WLAN network with no problems.

2. I installed a Western Digital 500GB My Book World Edition drive to the ADSL router. It picked up an IP with no troubles, becoming
192.168.0.100 on the WLAN.

1. The home laptop, running XP Home, is part of a workgroup, sees the drive, and allows to map it to a drive letter.

2. The work laptop, part of a domain for office use, sees the WD drive management tool at http://192.168.0.100, can change properties on it, but cannot access the drive itself for file management.

Now, my question: How can I make the drive fully accessible to the laptop on the domain? Is it a question of how the WLAN is set up, or do I have to come out of the domain and into a workgroup (very nasty) to access the disk?

Thank you for any leads!

Reply to
usenetfan
Loading thread data ...

Actually, it's easy, if the hd is offering a share. (Works for me in similar situation.)

On work laptop, @ shell: "net view \\\\192.168.0.100" You'll see non-admin shares. Try something like "net use l: \\\\192.168.0.100\\" where is maybe c$, or whatever else partition is shared as. (c$ is admin-share name for boot-partition.) This is standard Windows netbios client/server stuff.

John

Reply to
John Barry

Not sure how the software is set or how you use it, my nas has an ethernet connection, and when plugged into the router it's just a general share with anyone on the network, but if I plug it directly into the 'puter, it's set as an exclusive control, and i can only do maint stuff when it's set for exclusive... Sounds like you may have it set for a general sharing rather than exclusive control (course then you can't share it till you set it back)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Are you using the "WD Anywhere Access" s'ware on both machines? Have you tried setting the share so it can be accessed without using "WD Anywhere Access"?

I have been put off these drives because of the recent inclusion of "drm" style management in the "WD Anywhere Access" s'ware.

Reply to
LR

Hello all again, and thanks already. Here's a dump of what I get whet I use the commands you suggested:

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net view \\192.168.0.100 System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

C:\Documents and Settings\heikki.hietala>ping 192.168.0.100

Pinging 192.168.0.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net view \\192.168.0.100\c$ System error 123 has occurred.

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net view \\192.168.0.100\public System error 123 has occurred.

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net use I: \\192.168.0.100\vintti System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not foun

************************************************ So it pings and responds. And when I use the http://192.168.0.100address in a browser, I see the drive management software and can create shares etc. It's just getting them into use that sucks at the moment. I wonder if that's a problem with my WLAN Settings? I have turned on MS File and printer sharing etc. so that my domain and workgroup computers have the same options turned on.

Thanks again!

Reply to
usenetfan

Ahh one more thing, I have not installed the WD Access thing on the home (workgroup) computer, and yet it contacts the drive - no problem. It's the domain machine (with WD installed and removed) that doesn't.

Reply to
usenetfan

Hello all again, and thanks already. Here's a dump of what I get whet I use the commands you suggested:

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net view \\192.168.0.100 System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>ping 192.168.0.100

Pinging 192.168.0.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.100: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net view \\192.168.0.100\c$ System error 123 has occurred.

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net view \\192.168.0.100\public System error 123 has occurred.

C:\Documents and Settings\hh>net use I: \\192.168.0.100\vintti System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found

************************************************ So it pings and responds. And when I use the http://192.168.0.100address in a browser, I see the drive management software and can create shares etc. It's just getting them into use that sucks at the moment. I wonder if that's a problem with my WLAN Settings? I have turned on MS File and printer sharing etc. so that my domain and workgroup computers have the same options turned on.

Thanks again!

Reply to
usenetfan

what are the operating systems involved ?

I have a Maxtor NAS, and it works fine with Win98se and XP, but has a problem with Vista because of the way Vista attempts to authenticate with the NAS. There was a setting I could change in Vista, but don't recall right now.

The NAS uses the Samba software to create the file shares, and the newer Vista authentication is a problem with Samba, therefore you can see and touch it via IP, just not get into it via Windows Sharing.

Reply to
P.Schuman

here's a link for a basic info discussion on potential probs with Vista (if that's the OS involved on the domain computer) and connecting to NAS type devices.... like MAC or Samba-based NAS drives

Reply to
P.Schuman

Ahh, sorry for omitting such a vital piece of info. The one that reaches the drive is XP Home and the one that does not is XP Pro. The drive itself is reputedly some Linux-based disk OS.

Reply to
usenetfan

One more thing: I can access it in Safe Mode with Networking. Does this enable anyone to pinpoint the problem?

Thanks!

Reply to
usenetfan

Hmh, problem solved: there was a nondescript VPN remnant sitting in the corner, and when that was removed from the starting lineup, full access became available to the drive.

Thank you all for your time and effort!

Reply to
usenetfan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.