Converting Wireless Router Modem to Switch

Hi, I have recently bought a Netgear DG834N Wireless Modem Router, this is replacing a Netgear DG834GT Wireless Modem Router as I wanted faster wireless. Because of the location of my computer I had been using a Netgear WGPS606 Wireless Printer Switch acting as a Wireless Switch to my hardwired PC in the office. This allowed me to have wireless access to internet for our laptops but also gave internet access to PC without running Cat5 cables through house. As is the case now this switch is now a bottleneck in speed of internet to PC, can I convert the replaced Netgear DG834GT into a switch. Does anybody have experience in converting a Wireless Modem Router into a Wireless Switch/Access Point and how do I maintain the same wireless network without trying to connect to two SSID. Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
aardvarkalpha
Loading thread data ...

Just don't plug anything into the ADSL port. An ADSL router is just a switch with additional h/w to route relevant traffic to the ADSL modem port. The other ports and the wireless are allon the switch part.

You don't - you tell Windows Zero Config you have two networks and to connect to either of them, depending on which is stronger.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.