10dbi antenna, useless

Hi all i bought a pci 10dbi omni antenna, it said it will increase

250%-300%. But i don't see any different either the range or the signal strong.

formatting link
thanks from Peter ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com)

Reply to
cmk128
Loading thread data ...

On 7 May 2007 19:04:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

A 10 dBi omni can improve range by that amount, but has a narrow vertical pattern width that can be hard to aim.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Reply to
John Navas

Can a Wireless 2.4ghz @ 1 watt can be dangerous to use at home

Reply to
midjet

Rather than keep posting that "x" doesn't do this and "y" doesn't do that why don't you post what it is that you wish to achieve and what equipment you, at present, have available. You may find that someone has a solution to the problem.

Reply to
kev

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Increase what 300%. Signal strength, range, price?

I'll assume your PCI device is in the open and not in the usual location, buried behind a steel PC box, under a desk, amid a tangle of wires, low on the ground, and generally in the worst possible RF location. Since it's a vertical antenna, it can't be too close to the metal case or it will detune. It has to be almost perfectly vertical as the bulk of the RF comes out perpendicular to the line of the antenna. In other words, it's almost impossible to properly mount such an antenna on the back of a metal PC box. The antenna also doesn't offer any better "penetration" than your previous antenna. If you have a mess of obstructions along the line of sight, such as wires, walls, furniture, doors, and junk, more gain is helpful, but not a guaranteed improvement.

Let's play with the math. (Math is fun). The antenna claims 10dBi gain. Range doubles for every 6dBi of gain. Your existing antenna probably is a 2dBi rubber ducky. Your net improvement in gain is 10dBi - 2dBi = 8dBi.

8dBi is good for: range increase = 10^(dB/20) = 10^(8/20) = 2.5 times So, you should see a 2.5x increase in range, but only after you've eliminated all the other problems and obstructions previously listed.

I suggest you consider a coax cable extension for you PCI card to get the antenna out of the tangle of wires and away from any obstructions. The improvment in location will more than compensate for the added coax cable loss.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.