Point-to-Point VPN HW Vendor Suggestion?

I'm looking for equipment recommendations to setup a point-to-point hardware VPN between two locations.

Both locations are broadband. The 'A' Side has a static IP. ALL traffic from site 'B' will be pushed through the tunnel to side 'A'.

I've been looking at purchasing a couple of Netgear FVSxxx models or D-Link DI-80xHV models.

Any thoughts on either vendor? Does Linksys or any other have a simple cost-effective solution?

Thank you, Marp

Reply to
Marpilli
Loading thread data ...

I have setup and used Zywall-10, D-LINK DI-804HV and Netgear FVS328.

The Zywall-10 was the first reasonably priced VPN/Firewall appliance. It is, in todays standard, very old, slow and difficult to configure. However, it does have the best firewall I've seen in the low priced VPN/Firewall appliances.

Initially we where connecting to the Zywall using FreeSWAN, SSH sentinal, and Windows XP VPN. All of these software packages, when connecting to the Zywall were difficult to setup and all of them had a hard time keeping the tunnel up.

We have now moved on to the D-LINKs and the Netgear appliances. The D-LINK was very easy to setup and connect to the Zywall. It keeps the tunnel up OK. I didn't spend too much time in the firewall portion but it seemed to be about the same as most residential FW appliances.

The Netgear is very similar to the D-Link but found it a tad more difficult to configure. However, the Netgear is maybe a little more feature rich than the D-LINK. I also think the Netgear FW is maybe a little better than the D-Link but less than the Zywall. In fact, it may be that the Netgear uses the same embedded OS as the Zywall. The nice thing about the Netgears is I can pick them up for very cheap on Ebay.

All in all, if you want a simple VPN that is easy to set up, I would recommend the D-LINK. If you want something more sophisticated with better FW capabilities, look into the newer Zywalls. However, there is nothing wrong with the Netgears.

Rob

Reply to
Robert Side

Draytek Vigors are pretty good and some of the models do some nice stuff with voip too simon

Reply to
Simon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.