MPLS Vs. Point to Point

What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point circuits? I know MPLS offers a Mesh.

Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the router interfaces of a point to point circuit.

All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank You

Reply to
tmed
Loading thread data ...

The price, typically run about 2/3rds.

Reply to
Brian V

Hello, Brian! You wrote on Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:47:50 -0400:

??>> What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point ??>> circuits? I know MPLS offers a Mesh. ??>>

??>> Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no ??>> difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the ??>> router interfaces of a point to point circuit. ??>>

??>> All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank You ??>>

BV> The price, typically run about 2/3rds.

Important note - nominal price. Actual price can be higher and highly depends on carrier's QoS policy.

With best regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

You may wish to investigate the online AT&T MPLS Presentation:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

you are really comparing apples with oranges.

MPLS access links would normally use a point to point circuit anyway.

MPLS proper is the "cloud" bit operated by the carrier

in most setups the label switching bit is only within the carrier core network, and will not go as far as a customer site - so they could be plugging all those access links into a central router instead....

I

some services do - it sounds like you are referring to a L3 VPN over MPLS.

But some MPLS services across are point to point - Ethernet L2 circuit emulation is common.

The access links to / from a customer site run IP, so no difference.

The MPLS core QoS field inside a label is only 3 bits, so the "native" per packet QoS is less rich than say DSCP.

Since the backbone tends to be much faster than customer access links that may not matter (as if you never have packets building up in a Q there is not much QoS can do to re-order traffic).

Some MPLS backbones dont do any QoS handling in the core, but just at the PE router where customer links meet the high bandwidth bit, since it is sometimes simpler and easier for the carrier to throw bandwidth at the problem

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.