- iConnect: 800 minutes $15.99 unlimited $29.99

- BroadVoice: unlimited $19.95 in-state $9.95

- BroadVox: couldn't find any details

- Vonage: unlimited $24.99 500 minutes $14.99

- SpeakEasy: couldn't find any details

- Packet8: unlimited $19.95

- Belkin: 500 minutes $14.95 unlimited $24.95

By unlimited I mean the US and Canada.

How come there is such a difference? AT&T and Verizon offer is more expensive. Have you heard of any of these brands quality of service?

For me, if quality is pretty much the same, I'd go for the "in state" package for $9.95 from BroadVoice. I do mostly local calls. Is anyone aware of pay as you go kinda plans?

Reply to
jonathanztaub
Loading thread data ...

If you want to use your PC for calls, Voiceglo has good sound quality and easy setup. Peer-to-peer is also free.

formatting link

Reply to
Pepperoni

Lots of others, but these are probably the bigger names out there.

Because its a relatively new service, and the market hasn't converged down to be a commodity service level and price yet.

Yes, the bigger brand names tend to be.

Yes. They all come out about the same, and it usually depends on your connectivity. Most of the VOIP providers generally buy wholesale ports in each market, and your computer/IAX/ATA/Phone talks directly with the port after the initial routing and registration are done with the providers gear. So really, its more an issue about what kind of hardware they promote, how their enhanced services work for you, and their customer service is if you need to use it.

Some of those that you quote above do offer a pay-as-you-go, but they all generally like the fixed rates above because people usually don't use all the minutes they sign up for anyway, and the block rate gives them a better deal.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Yeah, I keep wondering about this. I'm on the "unlimited" world plus plan on Broadvoice, I wonder how long they will keep this plan up. At $24/mo, I can't see how they make any money.

Well, it all depends on calling patterns. I make calls to Argentina frequently, the world plus plan at Broadvoice is a perfect fit for me, my international bill went from $90+ to a flat fee of $24/mo.

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

The "unlimited" plans aren't unlimited. The providers pay for the usage and you will too if you go over the unspoken limit.

LiveVoIP: $0.018/minute, $1/month DID

I much prefer to simply pay for what I get - especially when I don't use much. I doubt there are many people who really get a better deal with the "unlimited" plans over the long term. (If they did, the company would not do well...which *is* happening to some already.)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Individuals can get US and Canada VoIP service for well under $0.02/minute. Surely BroadVoice pays less. That means any user who doesn't use well over

1000 minutes per month is leaving some money for other operating costs (and profit). Having a few users who go over is o.k. as long as enough users go under.

Argentina is $0.018 (Buenos Aires) to $0.1102 (Mobile) per minute at LiveVoIP. The rate for regular "Argentina" is $0.0319/minute so I assume you use something on the order of 2500 minutes per month (an hour and a half every day) to make "$90+". I will be surprised if you keep up this usage without being contacted by BroadVoice. I hope you'll report back on it. I'm sure there are lots of people who would appreciate the info.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

[snip]

Most any 1st-year law student can probably explain that "unlimited" means exactly that, without limits, and any good attorney can write a letter to the service provider sternly warning them that any attempt to place -any- restrictions on your "unlimited" usage can result in legal action charging the service provider with Deceptive Trade Practices. It's a very serious charge and one which is very expensive to lose in court (treble damages). Several of the early internet service providers who naively used the word "unlimited" in their original advertised offerings got severely stung by it (at least here in Texas) and now fervently avoid the use that word for that reason.

Reply to
Mitel Lurker <wdg

snip

$0.02/minute.

snip

Can you name a Canadian VoIP provider that charges "well" under 2 cents a minute. What does "well under" mean anyway? Less then 0.015? I haven't run across any Canadian provider charging a per minute price that low. I would be very interested in finding out who you would be referring to.

Reply to
B Nelson

Toronto Ontario Canada.

formatting link
.012/min US

And you can buy blocks of $3 via paypal, no fees, pay as you go.

Reply to
pl

LiveVoIP has/had offices in Canada. Montreal, I think. Regardless, they provide services in Canada.

Yes, it starts at $0.0130 and goes down to $0.0085.

formatting link
that to Nufone (who I emphatically recommend avoiding) who claims "2c/m" but actually charges $0.029.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Thanks, I will investigate.

Has anyone tried OnlineTel? According to their yearly subscription it they would be $0.0041

Reply to
B Nelson

Net2Phone has Pay As You Go, Limited and Unlimited plans.

Reply to
Itamar

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 1757 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Nation2Nation

Reply to
Ken Endeley

Sure, as long as you can get a decent internet connection. I use USA-based VoIP across a DSL connection here in Malaysia without much issue (the ISP blocks port 5060 so I have to run around that, but once that's taken care of things work fine, despite my 300ms ping times to the USA).

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

My friend was going to send a Packet8 box to his sister in Singapore. When I talked to Packet8 they had different rates, but the calls to USA were about 2 cents per minute and free to other Packet8 customers.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

What about

VoiceWind CallVantage

?
Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.