Something is fishy with Vonage..

Ok, here is my story. I lost my phone port connection with Vonage. I called the technical support and after about 30 minutes it was determined that something was wrong with my device eventhough i can still access internet. So my friend who used to have Vonage service told me that he still has his linksys router from a while back. I get it from him and follow the instructions on Vonage website to register the device with mac address. Well guess what, Vonage site says it doesn't recognize the Mac address. I'm pretty sure the Mac address(on bottom of device) is correct. The tech support gal(from India i believe) told me that on her end, the Vonage system doesn't recognize the device(Mac address)The gal told me to return it to wherever i bought it from. My question is, how can their system not recognize a legitimate Mac address? Should i buy another one from Ebay? I am sure in the hell not going to buy one at a retail store for like 60 bucks. Anyone with similar experiences? Thanks.

Reply to
zcarenow
Loading thread data ...

Vonage will NOT re-activate devices that have been used on Vonage previously, as stated in their TOS. It doesn't matter if it was used only one day, Vonage will not re-activate it.

Reply to
LRC™

Reply to
zcarenow

That all depends on your attitude, I've had several devices reactivated...

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Could that policy be a way to disallow (possibly) stolen devices?

All ATA's are supposed to be between the router and the modem. I've heard there are exceptions, but to preserve Quality of Service the ATA must be next to the modem.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

In order to use the device you will need to call Vonage CS (tier 2) and tell them that the device was given to you by a friend and you want it transfered to your account. You may need to give any or all of following information: The MAC address, your friends name (or the name on the account that the device was registered to), the phone number of your friends account. They should create a support ticket and they will give you a support ticket number. Write the number down in case there is a problem. The device should work on your account within a few hours.

Reply to
LRC™

That's an interesting idea, but a bit overkill if that's all they want to do. Each ATA does have a unique MAC (and perhaps other unique crypto keys) that could be used to identify it. If keeping stolen ATA's off the market is the only concern a simple hotlist would suffice.

I wonder if it isn't an attempt to hook a customer with a bit of an up-front charge. Long ago companies found that if they had a "signup fee" then customers would be less likely to temporarily drop them for extended vacations etc. In some cases it let them pick up an extra month or two of fees each year. Thats good profit especially in a low margin business.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.