Terminal Cable for a Panasonic DBS system

I need to know just what kind of cable I need to buy to manage a Panasonic DBS. The manual has the pinout info but doesn't define the cable type. Does anyone know if it uses a standard serial cable, or a modem cable, or a laplink cable, or do I need to buy a special cable.

The pinout data is listed below. DB25 DB9 DB25 TD 2---------------------- 2 3 RD RD 3---------------------- 3 2 TD CTS 4---------------------- 1 8 CD | RTS 5-------- DSR 6---------------------- 4 20 DTR SG 7---------------------- 5 7 SG CD 8---------------------- 7 4 RTS | ------------- 8 5 CTS DTR 20--------------------- 6 6 DSR

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.
Loading thread data ...

Interesting. I bought what I though was a Null Modem cable the other day and it didn't work. I wonder if there is something else I need to do.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Looks like a standard null modem serial cable. DCE-DTE. If you have DB-9 to DB-9 a null modem cable will do. If you have to go DB-9 to DB-25 get a straight serial cable and a null modem adapter. Keep your sexes straight !

TerryS

Reply to
TerryS

Like you I haven't touched this stuff in years, but you are correct. There are some programs in which you specify baud and all the other usual serial communication parameters. ISTR that's there's also one to specify whether the serial connection is for DBS programming or for SMDR.

You also need a proprietary software 'DBS Manager' put out by Panasonic. Takes a dongol on the parallel port to function, so just having a copy of the software will do you no good.

The few times I did hook to a DBS with DBS Manager I used something called a "SMARTCABLE" A DB25 at one end, a DB9 at the other and a 2" black box in between powered by the devices with logic circuits to detect voltage and data flow.

Reply to
Rich Piehl

I've found that the easiest way to accomplish this is to use a straight-through cable, and attach a null-modem adapter to it. Null-modem cables are often unusable for DBS programming.

And be sure to invest in Oleg's most excellent "Programmator." It's worth every penny!

formatting link

Reply to
Someone

Hi This is going right to the back of my memory and its very dusty back there, But yes its a null modem (25W with a 25 -9 ant the PC end) and I think you have to enable it from a phone to go into prog mode.. But for what its worth I always foud it quicker to do it via a phone. ISTR that you need to set the baud rate etc first..

Good luck

Reply to
Ian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.