PBX Administration tasks

Hello all,

I am an IT guy assigned to maintain an old PBX (if you must know, a Definity G3i with AUDIX). Now, I have been able to figure out a way to do very basic administration tasks (adding users, changing passwords, etc), but I am pretty sure there is much more that I should be able to do, like now they are asking me to change the menu of the office's main voicemail.

Could someone point me to a website or a book with a fairly comprehensive list of PBX administration tasks?

I think I have all the manuals for this system, but they are more than cryptic, if I had a list that, for example, said, "create new user extension", I think I could figure it out with the manuals and the various forums on the internet (like this one). But right now I don't even know what I should be looking for.

My boss has also agreed to pay someone to train me in this, but the budget is small, so I have to be able to tell Avaya (or whomever), "I only need to learn this and this and such", furthermore, if I knew what I was looking for, I could weed out the stuff that I could learn myself and the stuff that I clearly need to be explained with apples and oranges.

In any case, I appreciate your help,

Vicente Zamora Neptune, NJ vzamora at hotmail dot com

Reply to
vzamora
Loading thread data ...

Most of the manuals that come with PBX systems are written for technicians that have been through training. That doesn't mean you can't learn it, but the manuals usually assume there is a certain level of expertise already.

Reply to
Justin Time

All PBX Admin training (vendor classes) exposes the student to a surprising level of PBX theory. For example, MITEL's 5-day admin class for both the SX2000 and 3300 teaches ARS, Class Of Restriction and CESID (9-1-1) management, albeit at a fairly relaxed pace. PBX Admin is obviously much more than just making directory changes and doing key appearances.

Mitel assumes that the student you send them is trainable and has good problem-solving and inter-personal skills. It's assumed that given the cost of the school plus travel, meals and lodging that you won't send some dufus. There is also a final exam (open book) administered the morning of the last day.

Rather than go to the expense of sending them to vendor school, we just taught our attendants how to do the really basic stuff (directory & key apps). Most of them became proficient in these basic skills after no more than an hour of training.

Reply to
wdg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.