Re: Slammed for 25 Grand

PHONE USER ON HOOK FOR 25G

> By BILL SANDERSON > New York Post 1/3/2006 >
formatting link
> January 3, 2006 -- Bedridden for 17 years, Timmy Secor can't work a > computer - he can't even lift his head from his pillow - but > Verizon bills him as if he were a millionaire keyboard whiz. > He's been overbilled $25,000, a friend said. > His monthly tab includes $19.95 for dialup Internet service he's never > used and $39.95 for a nonexistent Web page. > There's no explanation for the $29.95 Verizon collects for a company > called Directory Billing Service or the $21.45 "multiline charge" for > "Business Network LD." > With other mystery charges and the regular ... > TO READ ENTIRE STORY you have to agree to nine pages of privacy policy > and fifteen pages of terms of us 24 pages total. I don't have time to > study that much legalese. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That's okay, I got it from my RSS feed > and have the entire account here for everyone to read: PAT] > PHONE USER ON HOOK FOR 25G > By BILL SANDERSON > Bedridden for 17 years, Timmy Secor can't work a computer - he > can't even lift his head from his pillow - but Verizon bills him as if he > were a millionaire keyboard whiz. > He's been overbilled $25,000, a friend said. > His monthly tab includes $19.95 for dialup Internet service he's never > used and $39.95 for a nonexistent Web page. > There's no explanation for the $29.95 Verizon collects for a company > called Directory Billing Service or the $21.45 "multiline charge" for > "Business Network LD." > With other mystery charges and the regular Verizon charges, fees > and taxes, Secor's September phone bill was $575.76. > "These phone companies are bankrupting me," said Secor, 63, who runs a > modeling agency from his hospital bed in his Upper East Side apartment. > The law requires Verizon to bill its customers on other companies' > behalf. Consumer advocates call it "cramming." > Verizon has refunded $4,950, and an official told The Post that the > company was working on Secor's "issues" but declined to comment > further. > Arnold Martin, a pal helping Secor with the problem, figures he's > overpaid around $25,000 over the years. > It's a mystery how his phone bill got so bloated. > One company, Simple.net, says Secor responded in 2004 to a mail > solicitation that contained a check for $3.25. By depositing the > check, the company says, Secor signed up for dialup Internet service. > by snipped-for-privacy@nypost.com > NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc. > NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM are trademarks of > NYP Holdings, Inc. > Copyright 2005 NYP Holdings, Inc. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have gotten a lot of those 'checks' > for amounts ranging fom fifty cents through several dollars, always on > the condition 'cash this check and you authorize us to do whatever.' > I always throw them away, which Mr. Secor should learn to do. PAT]

It's easy for the average able bodied person to read the fine print on those phony checks and discard them. However, Timmy is a quadriplegic and can't hold the check and read the tiny 1 point size fine print. Timmy told his assistant to deposit the $3.25 check which has cost him over $25000.00 in fraudulent charges billed by Verizon.

Reply to
heyarnoldusa
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.