Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] DEAR APPLE: I'm Leaving You
DEAR APPLE: I'm Leaving You Ed Conway, Contributor Nov. 1, 2012 Business Insider Ed Conway (@edconwaysky) is the economics editor for Sky News and the author of The Real Economy. He recently wrote a...

[telecom] Misconfigured Apache sites expose user passwords, other private data
Misconfigured Apache sites expose user passwords, other private data System status pages are publicly viewable on thousands of sites. by Dan Goodin Nov 1 2012 Ars Technica More than 2,000...

Is anyone else having trouble reaching Google Voice? [telecom]
I've been having trouble reaching Google Voice ever since Sandy passed by. When I dial "my" Google Voice TN, which usually gets me a computerized voice that tells me if I have messages, I'm hearing an...

[telecom] Technology Is Changing How Students Learn, Teachers Say
Technology Changing How Students Learn, Teachers Say By MATT RICHTEL November 1, 2012 There is a widespread belief among teachers that students' constant use of digital technology is hampering their...

[telecom] Hurricane Sandy disrupts data centers, wired Internet, cellular
Hurricane Sandy also disrupts cellular networks and wired Internet AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint are all hit by outages. by Jon Brodkin Oct 30 2012 In addition to taking New York City data...

[telecom] UK workers who use their own devices risk being sacked
Mobile pioneers risk being sacked Karl Flinders 25 October 2012 A group of UK workers are driving the use of consumer devices in the workplace and are risking being sacked as a result, according to...

Rachel busted [telecom]
FTC cases follow agency’s Robocall Challenge offering $50,000 for private high-tech fix for robocall problem

[telecom] Verizon West Street offices under water
WSJ story about the VZ building just north of the WTC. Yes, the one that was damaged on 9/11... [WSJ] A Look inside Verizon's Flooded Communications Hub ..... This time the enemy was water shoved...

Database of stolen cellphones will be available in US [Telecom]
cellphone databases switched on in US The four major carriers plan to offer a joint database by late 2013 By Martyn Williams, IDG News Service October 31, 2012 01:26 PM ET U.S. cellphone carriers took...

FCC says One-Quarter of Eastern cell towers down due to Sandy [Telecom]
of Eastern cell towers BLOWN down BY SANDY - FCC 'Save bandwidth, text with a friend', pleads FCC Commishioner By Brid-Aine Parnell Posted in Mobile, 31st October 2012 14:53 GMT Around a quarter of...

Arc Flash [telecom]
I've seen the safety films. I've seen the Utube videos. I've seen the demonstrations. /Nothing/ compares to what I saw tonight. Right after I last wrote, I went out to get some more gas, just to have...

The input queue may be slow for a day or two [telecom]
My power just went off, so I'm going to shut down to conserve wear and tear on the generator. The input queue may be slow for a day or two: I hope everyone comes through the storm without injury or...

FiOS and battery backups [telecom]
I just received an email entitled "A message to Verizon customers affected by Hurricane Sandy". Since I have a DSL line, the email told me that my service would go out along with the power if the...

Feeding Frenzy [telecom]
There's a law of human nature that says when a hurricane is coming, everyone goes out and buys everything off the supermarket shelves, empties every gas station, and lays in a supply of water adequate...

Caller ID and Reverse 911 [telecom]
Yesterday, I got a call at 7:41 PM Eastern time: the caller ID showed "1-000-000-0000". I answered out of curiosity, assuming that it would be some political tripe. The call was a recorded...