Problem with wireless alarm

Hello everyone I need some quick help. I have a Ademco Lynx and set it up myself thanks to all the help from this forum and the home security store forums. Its a completely wireless system.

When I came home today I did not hear a entry beep from the alarm panel. This startled me because I know for sure I turned it on. I went to investigate and I set off the motion alarm. I thought at first maybe just the sensor was malfunctioning or it was a low battery. After more testing I realize none of my wireless devices will work from that side of the house. I now need to be in the same room to turn on the alarm with the fobs.

I'm not really sure whats going on with it. Could it be some sort of new interference in my area or a malfunctioning panel? I have tried to unplug the power and battery but still seems to be doing the same thing. I would appreciate any trouble shooting advice you can give me.

thanks

Reply to
JediSpork
Loading thread data ...

it seems to be functioning normally now. Would that suggest some sort of interference? What could be that powerful to completely disable my sensors? I've had this system going for a year now and have not experienced any problems.

I might have to start making plans for a wired system.

Reply to
JediSpork

You wouldn't by any chance have wireless headsets in your house?

Reply to
Frank Olson

You could be risking conjuring up a bad dream I had.......you know!

Reply to
Jim

Hi Man,

Just bin it and get a powermax +.

Kind Regards,

Micky Leeds UK

Reply to
Micky Savage

Batteries? Do you have autoshunt enabled?...don't.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hi there, With regard to your wireless alarm problem - sounds like some of your detectors are being blocked by interference. What frequency is the alarm using? If it is 433MHz every Garage Door, Garden Weather Station, & various gimmicky remote devices are using this frequency - or you may be having crosstalk from a neighbours alarm if you live in an apartment or semi detached. I personally would never again install an alarm using the 433MHz frequency - Unfortunately the old 418MHz frequency which gave years of good service is no longer available for Wireless Alarm Systems. The new current 868MHz Narrow Band seems to be doing OK - so consider the above statement and see if anything fits your symptoms. You might also like to try moving the effected detectors closer to the control panel to increase signal strength! Hope you get to the bottom of your problem. Best regards Father Jack!

Reply to
Father Jack

When you did the original install did you test each sensor (from its intended location) using code-#-4?

That tests the wireless zones at reduced power. If they work that way then you can be reasonable sure you won't have any problems.

If you just slap them up and go - well, that's how the trunk slammers do it...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Occasionally I get called by other alarm companys or by their customers who are referred to me, to trouble shoot wireless systems that have chronic problems. 99% of the time it's due to poor signal strength. Many times it's due to something that has changed in the environment. ( adding air conditioners or air conditioning ducts, new appliances, shower stalls, plumbing, a new SUV parked in the garage, etc) Most of the time, it's simply a matter of moving the transmitter a few inches in some direction or other that will cure the problem. Sometimes even exchanging transmitters ( I guess it's due to some variation in the crystal or whatever) will do it. But .......... although I can't prove it, it seems that most of it is due to the installers just not wanting to take the time to do a prelimiary signal strength test prior to actually mounting the transmitters or receiver (s)

When I do a survey for a wireless system I'll usually have a couple of places picked out for the location of the receiver(s). I always tell the client that there's a possibility that more than one receiver will have to be installed. Prior to actually mounting any hardware, I set up the panel with one transmitter programed in and one receiver mounted at the most convenient spot and do a walk test around the premise, marking where the transmitter gets the best signal on each opening with that easily removeable painters tape. After taking the survey, if there are any weak spots I'll either move the recever or add another and do another walk test. Out of a possible top signal strenght of 10 the mfg says a three is a minimum. I don't accept anything less than a six which seems to be able to hold up when the environment does change. I very, very rarely have a problem with my wireless installs.

A number of years ago, I had a system that was installed and working flawlessley for a few years. Then I get a call that various openings are false alarming. The system is falsing on a number of second floor windows. All the signal strengths are low and at bare minimum. When I go to look at the receiver in the hall linen closet, I see that there's a clothes iron on the top shelf, propped up right next to the receiver.

Reply to
Jim

Funny you posted that today. I had a service call yesterday on a home with a wireless system I installed over 6 years ago. Like yours, it has been working flawlessly since then until recently. In the closet next to the receiver was, yup, an iron, right up next to the receiver. I moved the iron away, and the system is working just fine again...no wrinkles so far.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Reply to
alarman

I would have been steamed.

Reply to
Jim

Nah, I was just bored stiff.

Reply to
alarman

I had one (not an iron though) like that too...ask them on the phone has anything changed by that bedroom closet...NO. I go out there and the hall closet now has mirrored doors and a brand new GIANT mirror on the hallway side of the closet...can you say Faraday?...sure you can. Moved the receiver up into the attic above the closet...bada bing...back in bizness.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

had a wireless hybrid system years ago using transcience eq. was working fine for several years then quit one summer.. we were called to repair or replace. we found that the home owner had re-wallpapered the house using a metal-style wallpaper.. every room had become a box for the signal..

He decided to just do away with the radio part of the system..

Faraday?...sure

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

The honeywell stuff works at 350mhz I get very few interference issues definately sounds like something in the enviroment changed . some of the Lynx units also have a Jam feature which is not a bad idea to activate to warn when problems are developing. But I agree most with doing proper survey first. Did some sub work for a pittsburgh ADT dealer one time and he got mad I took longer to install wireless than other installers but I never had call back problems Like the others . Some ass holes never learn It is going to be intresting to see how the industry shakes out after everything going on in this current economy and who is still in the alarm buisness. If you can not make your house payment you cant make your monitoring payment and those dealers who decided to gamble and put it all on the line to make back there money on the RMR are playing a very dangerous game. If you have to cut to the bone and make your install and service money back on RMR you will eventualy sink.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Holy crap .......... Transcience ........ I forgot all about them. !!!!!

They were one of the first wireless companys. Had some real quirky problems but they were just about the only choice there was for a long time. Unfortunately they couldn't keep up with the technology.

Reply to
Jim

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I bought into that about 7-8 years ago and did 140 homes on that basis. It turned out ok for me. I've got probably about 100, more or less left. Spent lots of time and equipment over about a two year period. But I can just imagine if I'd invested all that time and material and lost most of them. That could have taken a big chunk out of my vested interest in my business ...... fur sure.

Reply to
Jim

Seems to still be working fine. I'm going to do the signal tests when I have more time just to be sure. As I mentioned earlier something was obviously putting out a much stronger signal. My fobs and wireless keypads would only work in the same room and then all the sudden everything seemed normal again.

I thought these devices have some kind of check in signal? Or maybe the problem went away before a check in was done. I'm going to dig out the alarm manual and see if I have this jam warning thing.

thanks for the help

Reply to
JediSpork

they do check in...kinda why they don't work immediately after you fire up the panel...then on time basis after that.

you weren't resetting the panel then immediately testing the points were you?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.