Off Topic - But Heinous

:: A great deal of the Web goes OVER the Internet. But they're not identical.

: Mike Ash : The web is a fairly integral part of the modern internet. To say that : the internet is just TCP/IP is to be somewhat disingenuous at this : point. The US created large portions of it, but the web is a big : chunk too. You really can't say that any one individual entity : invented it.

Well. HTTP and HTML has a slightly better case for "one person" inventing it (based on lots of other pre-existing ideas wrt hypertext and network protocols and such, but still). Which was done under the auspices of CERN.

Any given protocol has a similar story, of course. Though I'm not sure if IP really had a single designer. in quite the same way as HTTP.

However, it's entirely fair to point out that "the web" and "the internet" are, indeed, not identical. "The internet" is often considered to be the suite of IP-based protocols (and maybe the data being transported byt hem, and/or some of the hardware upon which they run). The fact that this includes HTTP, and HTTP is very often used to transport HTML, doesn't make them identical, any more than a building and it's plumbing are identical, or a car and its drivetrain, or a city and its traffic lights... or perhaps more apt, a city and the cars and roads.

Indeed, not only "fair" but somewhat crucial understanding almost anything about either one of them.

Wayne Throop snipped-for-privacy@sheol.org

formatting link

Reply to
Wayne Throop
Loading thread data ...

I'd say that World Wide Web is a proper[1] subset of the Internet. Usenet isn't, though the number of people who access Usenet without using TCP/IP is rather negligible and still dwindling.

BTW, the computers themselves were not invented in US - contrary to the popular belief, ENIAC wasn't the first computer.

[1] in the mathematical sense only; propriety has nothing to do with that...
Reply to
Szymon Sokó?

: Szymon : I'd say that World Wide Web is a proper[1] subset of the Internet.

So, the use of file:// uri/url-s means that filesystems are also a proper subset of the internet? As, for example, an HTML documents stored on an ISO filesystem on CD or DVD, and seamlesly containing http:// uri/url-s?

As for me, I'd say that, like usenet nowdays, they are ven-diagram-y, with only a narrow sliver remaining outside the internet.

formatting link

Reply to
Wayne Throop

The internet would be the public roads. Cars can also run on private ones, nd in fact there are intrawebs that run on private networks.

Reply to
Mike Schilling

: "Mike Schilling" : The internet would be the public roads.

HTML is Kinkos. HTTP is FedEx.

formatting link

Reply to
Wayne Throop

"Internet" != "World Wide Web".

DARPA (a US Government contracting agency) paid for the development of what we, today, call the internet.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The second half is true. There is some debate on the first half. John Vincent Atanasoff built his computer in the 30's, pre WWII.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

URL - Universal Resource Locator. If it as a http: prefix, it refers to the WWW, if a file: prefix, it doesn't. So no, filesystems are not a proper subset of the internet.

The WWW is one of many entities that can be described by a URL/URI.

Fundamentally, the internet is a transport with various services built atop it, including the WWW, gopher, archie, NNTP access to Usenet, etc.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sure, "web" and "internet" aren't identical, or anything close. "The internet" is a fairly vague term, but I think that any reasonable definition of it must include the common protocols that it carries, such as HTTP, and the common formats that were defined for them, such as HTML. Nobody invented the internet; lots of people invented various parts of it.

Reply to
Mike Ash

:::: I'd say that World Wide Web is a proper[1] subset of the Internet. ::: So, the use of file:// uri/url-s means that filesystems are also ::: [... a subset of the internet ...[ :: URL - Universal Resource Locator. If it as a http: prefix, it refers :: to the WWW, if a file: prefix, it doesn't. So no, filesystems are :: not a proper subset of the internet.

I would tend to agree, but it cnotradicts the thesis that the WWW is a proper subset of the internet, since file:// prefixes would have to be considered a subset of the WWW.

Unless, of course, you want to be tautologous, and say a URL/URI is only a WWW entity if it indicates an IP-based protocol, despite the fact that in hypertext (the "web" part of WWW) IP and non-IP based protocols can be mixed with wild abandon.

formatting link

Reply to
Wayne Throop

The Internet was around LONG before the HTTP protocol was invented in 1990.

Comparing HTTP to the Internet would be like comparing a light bulb to a power plant.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You do the same, when you learn the difference between the Internet and the WWW.

You idiot. I said the *Internet* not the WWW. The WWW is actually HTTP, just one of many protocols used on the Internet and it's relatively new compared to everything else. The US government invented the Internet in 1966.

formatting link

Put the crack pipe down.

That's why his name fits, you reckon? In order to "invent" something, you have to make it work. That was done

formatting link
"It seems that the integrated circuit was destined to be invented. Two separate inventors, unaware of each other's activities, invented almost identical integrated circuits or ICs at nearly the same time.

Jack Kilby, an engineer with a background in ceramic-based silk screen circuit boards and transistor-based hearing aids, started working for Texas Instruments in 1958. A year earlier, research engineer Robert Noyce had co-founded the Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation. From 1958 to 1959, both electrical engineers were working on an answer to the same dilemma: how to make more of less."

Again, look up the definition of "invention". By your standards, Leonardo Davinci "invented" the helicopter.

The transistor was invented by Bell Labs in the 1940's.

Wow... Three completely wrong statements in one post, and not a single correct one. That's a new record here in ASA.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I thought Pete was smarter than that, he just exposed his ignorance in a huge way.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I thought Al Gore invented all this?

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.