Off Topic - But Heinous

On the contrary. It was a very good idea to attempt discouraging him from doing the same annoying, stupid thing again.

Reply to
Dan Goodman
Loading thread data ...

Try googling for the information.

Reply to
Dan Goodman

If you'd been paying attention, you'd have noticed that there's considerable tolerance for regulars going off-topic, because they contribute on-topic, too. People who don't contribute on-topic and then pop up with off-topic spam, though, much lower tolerance level.

Ah, the classic spammer defense. "You could just ignore it!"

Or you could discourage it. The experience here is that discouraging works better.

Sure you are. That's why you're defending it.

kdb

Reply to
Kurt Busiek

Fuck off, you turd. Now I think I'll subscribe and post some more opinion.

Reply to
G. Morgan

"I am angry on you, so I will spam! That will prove you wrong for objecting to spam! Hah! Me am run rings round myself logically!"

kdb

Reply to
Kurt Busiek

Bizarro Am proving wrong right?

Reply to
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Pour encourager les autres, if I have spelt that correctly.

Dave

Reply to
David DeLaney

G. Morgan wrote: [SNIP]

Nice for *you* perhaps - but I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings: the whole world is *not* the USA.

Now, while it is a shame that the US government is treating it's soldiers as disposables - it has very limited importance out in the wider world.

And, in relation to the netiquette of cross-posting, it is acceptable when the newsfroups are related, but the spurious relation (attempted by the OP in a later post) of a "recovering alcoholic who is interested in alarms and reads sf" is pretty pathetic.

Go away. Or join in *properly*.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Crikey - so locked in the time warp of your own control issues you never grocked Eternal September; nor your own need to indulge in petulant cross-posting?

Do u lurve irony 2? ;-) Bob

Reply to
Rule #63

Rule #63 wrote: [SNIP]

Yes - pity you never learnt to recognise it...

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

And then East, towards CERN in Switzerland, to give thanks for the Web?

Dave "6 Aug 1991" DeLaney

Reply to
David DeLaney

I see you're posting from Australia. I'd say you're lucky to be reading any of this at all, seeing how your government wants to censor the Internet on your little chunk of Earth.

BTW... Since the Internet was invented by the US government, and all the transistors, microchips, and software used on your machine are powered by US innovations over the years... Oh, and the US space program that begot the satellites your island relies on to communicate with the "wider world"; I'd think you would show a little gratitude to the US for all the gifts we gave to world.

You're welcome to use a non-US designed microprocessor for your PC, if you can find one.

It's a shame your government doesn't share much of your troops for much of anything. You can return the military hardware that was purchased and developed in the US if you think it's not that important. I hear Russia is having a fire-sale on some top-notch gear.

What innovations have come out of Australia besides Foster's piss-ale, and the ever amusing Jooo-lover, Mel Gibson?

I must admit though, I used to beat-off to Olivia Newton John when I was twelve. At least your country had something I could use, once.

Reply to
G. Morgan

How did you come upon *that*??

Reply to
G. Morgan

May I assume that every morning after you wake up, you face West and give thanks to China for building all the stuff we design?

Reply to
Mike Ash

Historical note: the Web is not the Internet. Neither one is Usenet. And all of them are also different from the set of ftp-able computers. There's also FIDOnet, and various others.

A great deal of the Web goes OVER the Internet. But they're not identical.

Dave "alarming" DeLaney

Reply to
David DeLaney

formatting link
go read a bit and come back..

The US govt did nit invented the web..

If we let you go away like that, in some week the US govt would have created fire the wheel and the written language, and dont forget how the US created the first boat, domesticated the cows, pigs, and horses..

one other thing... the microchip..

formatting link
The idea of integrated circuit was conceived by a radar scientist working for the Royal Radar Establishment of the British Ministry of Defence, Geoffrey W.A. Dummer (1909-2002), who published it at the Symposium on Progress in Quality Electronic Components in Washington, D.C. on May 7,

1952.[1] He gave many symposia publicly to propagate his ideas. Dummer unsuccessfully attempted to build such a circuit in 1956.

the USA did not invent the microchip.. they developed it.. but no invention..

On the transistor..

formatting link
Physicist Julius Edgar Lilienfeld filed the first patent for a transistor in Canada in 1925, describing a device similar to a Field Effect Transistor or "FET".[1] However, Lilienfeld did not publish any research articles about his devices,[citation needed] nor did his patent cite any examples of devices actually constructed. In 1934, German inventor Oskar Heil patented a similar device.[2]

Again no invention.. developed from idea's made by other's.. but no invention...

Reply to
Petem

Yes. I wouldn't piss on Conroy if he was on fire.

Not all of them, I am afraid.

Nah, the internet goes via undersea cable (fibre, really) around here - the British, or French, invented it, IIRC.

Acorn ARM - Designed in the UK.

Well, apart from Afghanistan, and Iraq, and East Timor, and The Solomons, and ...

Fine - well send back the milcrap, *you* can give up WiFi. Deal?

WiFi, Over The Horizon Radar, only Septics drink Fosters, Fairlight CMI, ...

Oh, how pathetic, at least I *danced* with Livvie, lo though it was many decades ago.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

facepalm

Reply to
mleuck

Sounds messy.

Reply to
Mike Schilling

The web is a fairly integral part of the modern internet. To say that the internet is just TCP/IP is to be somewhat disingenuous at this point. The US created large portions of it, but the web is a big chunk too. You really can't say that any one individual entity invented it.

Reply to
Mike Ash

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.