medical alert service questions

Hi all,

I'm looking for some general information & advice, not solicitations.

I want to get a medical alert device/service for an elderly relative who lives far from me. There is no need for burgular alarms or other types of security.

I want to pay for a service rather than trust something that calls the neighbors. I want the service to bill me not my relative.

Will the hardware just be an auto-dialer, similar to the DIY medical alerts, but programmed for the service? If so, could/should I install it myself?

Should I be looking for a local or national service?

How do I pick a good service?

What other questions should I have?

Thanks,

-troy

Reply to
Troy Cauble
Loading thread data ...

For a Central Station response, the Medial Alert unit would call into an alarm receiver to transmit account # so we have positive identification. If it is a "two-way" voice system (basically a speaker-phone) then the Central Station can talk to her directly over that initial alarm call without having to call her back, reducing response time and giving us a better way to check if she's okay without her having to reach a phone.

Just find an Alarm Dealer that does Alarm Systems with Two-Way-Voice or Audio-Verification (same thing). It may be a stand-alone medical unit or a full-fledged alarm system with two-way capabilities and a remote pendant for her to wear.

Reply to
Joe Lucia

For a true medical alert type system I would think a multi speaker / multi mic 2-way voice application would be best with speaker/mics in every room. Obviously this would cost quite a bit more than the typical table top medical alert systems you see advertised. I'ld also think that several fixed panic/pull cords (cord reaches as far as the floor) as well as a wireless remote or two would be in order.

I just can't see somebody who broke a hip from falling in the bath tub being able to reach the panic the left sitting on the vanity, but a pull cord placed between the comode and the shower might be reachable. Obviously individual applications will vary.

A full blown alarm system with 2-way voice support might be the only way to get a really good med alaert system. Unfortunatley I can't see most people actually spending the money to have it installed.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

For a big house multi speaker/mics are advised however for a small house you'd be suprised how sensitive those mics are depending on the panel

The best medical alert system I've tested so far is the GE CareGard which has an excellent microphone

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Depending upon the case in your particular area you may find it very expensive if she pushes the button by mistake. Many medical supply house now sell these dialer systems real cheap and they just plug into the phone jack and ac outlet so there isn't really installation to do.

However, if the fire dept sends an ambulance to you there is a charge of $1425.00 - makes no difference if you go to the hospital or not - and they put the charge on the water bill so if you decide not to pay you'll get pretty darn thirsty cause they will cut the water off. So better make sure whatever you get is reliable.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

Reply to
Jaropi

Hope you folks don't mind but if this thread pops up in a somebody's search, I'd like to get my page in there. Thanks.

formatting link

Reply to
mikey

Are trying to fill the hole left by bass? LOL

"mikey" a écrit dans le message de news: h62dnekqM snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
petem

hey petey,... no way, not me, I respect my peers... well, most of them :-)

professional.

Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.