Lobenn TCP/IP backup transmission device - RHC

Guys, just to follow up on my last post, I met this morning with the company to see an operational "hands on" unit of the IP device I spoke about a while ago. This is NOT a solution for the VoIP problem with alarm panels; however, it does provide a GENERIC solution for ANY alarm panel to transmit encrypted signals from the panel to the Central Station. A point to note; it has the connection points for attaching the current POTS line (with line exclusion) in the home or business for backup if the Internet connection goes down. Conversely, if the phone line is cut, it uses the internet to send a signal to the CS, who can deal with it appropriately as negotiated. This device has various levels of polling built in, and as such, could be an ideal low cost replacement for DVAC's.

Most of this information is up on their website, including "cloud" diagrams for unimaginative types like me....

formatting link

However, I will reproduce word for word a "Lobenn Release 1 Product Release Note" (with their permission)

Quote:

"Lobenn is proud to announce the release of its Universal Alarm Interface System. The Lobenn LNI 1000 (Customer Panel) teamed with the LNS 10XX (Alarm Monitoring Server) allows ANY existing dial up security panel - commercial or domestic, regardless of age, reporting protocol, manufacturer or location to be upgraded to "lease line" level service via the internet.

Benefits" Always on Easy to install ( having seen it, I would agree...) Universal interface Any panel Any protocol Any manufacturer Reduced inventory hassles No expensive training issues and procedural changes

100% remotely programmable No complicate IP addressing problems

Release 1 Details: LNI (interface to customer alarm panels) Universal LNI - works with any dial up protocol Up to 1000 LNI monitored per LNI Relay fall back to phone line if internet connection lost LNI upgrades downloadable from LNS Caller ID available on a per customer basis LNI conveniently located on user side of customer's router LNI may be powered either from wall adapter or from 12V panel outputs. Requires approx. 900ma max

LNS (Alarm Station Server)

Script based setup for LNS Remote control of fallback relay from LNS. Can initiate a "directed" relay switch from LNS. Useful for panel downloads Provides loss of comm alarms in event LNI loses contaxtr with LNS Contains 4 digit customer ID, sent on customer's incoming line with associated caller ID for that line Contact ID format "Open" error sent on alarm tunnel failure "Close" failure sent on alarm tunnel restoral No debouncing of alarm - all opens and restorals reported Last state reported to screen - all others stored in log file In even of rapid tunnel loss and restorals, only latest status shown on screen - all others logged to file Alarm available on a per customer basis. No aggregation or summarization analysis of alarms.

Contact ID format: Event code: 350 communication trouble Data type: Zone Message Type: 18 (preferred) Event qualifier:

1=New Event or Opening - Alarm Tunnel communication has failed 3=New Restor or Closing - Alarm Tunnel communication has been restored Group or Partion and Zone number: All = O Redundant LNS capability - each LNI will contain LNS IP address table allowing transfer to redundant head end(s) LNS may be rack mounted or in standard PC tower configuration - customers choice Dedicated windows based LNS - Not to be modified or sublet to other tasks"

Unquote:

Technical issues aside, I see a first application in commercial situations, followed by residential applications in the high end residential market. In the low end "cheap shit" residential market, price will be an issue as it always is, but could be overcome with some creative marketing.

Apparently, they will have representation at an upcoming CANASA show in the near future here in Canada.

Just a note: I have given this newsgroup address to their VP, who may monitor responses, and who is in the best position to answer any technical type questions.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell
Loading thread data ...

I guess the first question would be "UL" status? Second, cost. Not only at the site, but inside the Central Station. Any insight on that Rob.

situations,

Reply to
Jackcsg

If the phone line is physically cut, so is the DSL, no? I'd like to know a little more about the polling.

situations,

Reply to
mikey

That's true. You will receive a "panel not responding" at the end of the poll cycle. Could be from 1 to 6 minutes (UL) or what ever time you program in. (I'm using my equipment as example) Again, this is typically why you wouldn't eliminate a land line, and have only VoIP. If I get a "panel not responding", I can quickly attempt to contact the panel over land line. Obviously, if the panel doesn't answer, you follow whatever procedure dictates the level of security it's protecting. Of course there's always cell back up....right... Point is, you'll know exactly that the panel is not capable of communicating to the CS. Without it, you'd never know it was cut. Also, just because a panel is "not responding" does not necessarily mean the line is cut. Could just mean the connection is down for other reasons.

Reply to
Jackcsg

Ok, I'm no tech expert, but here goes.

The device is simultaneously connected to both the internet AND the phone line. So if the phone line is cut your IP connection is also gone assuming you're using DSL. If the polling rate is set sufficiently short (and I understand this is totally adjustable), the lack of a connection shows up on the server in the station in that time frame, and would generate action at the station end. However, if your cable carries the internet connection, then there would also be a normal signal received at the station of loss of connection on the phone line.

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

My understanding is they have applied for both ULC and CSA approval, and have someone on staff who is adept at manoevering things through those hopeless bureaucracies. At the moment, they intend to start sell sometime in Dec / Jan timeframe

The cost at the station end would appear to be about 10 grand, with each server capable of 1000 "connections", and fully rackmountable to suit station requirements. When I saw it demo'd this morning, they had a variety of receivers set up, interfacing with the older 1550 panels and the newer

632 Classic series. However, they state it is totally transparent to receiver type, communication format, and panel type. The unit on customer premises has a Full Manufacturers Retail Price around $300, but is expected to go lower based on quantities, final production etc. Somehow, I personally see it settling in around the same price as the DSC unit ($250 if my memory serves me), but unlike the DSC unit which only works with DSC panels, this device is truly generic.

One neat thing is the ability of the Central Station to program the end user unit with upgraded firmware etc. I'm hypothesizing here, but theoretically, the station could offer different levels of service to the end user at differing prices. However, competitive pressures might well eliminate those variables over time.

I don't see any issues with commercial applications; however, I can't resolve in my own mind how this will appeal to the low end consumer who has just rid himself of a $20 phone line to save a buck or two. Do you sell it to him, or keep it and add $X per month to the monitoring rate to cover it, or whatever....

Still lots of questions to be answered, but I do think they are on the right track...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I paid right around $4,000 to monitor 1,000 accounts using DMP. The receiver can do 2,500 supervised, and 65,535 unsupervised.

When I saw it demo'd this morning, they had a variety

DMP's iCOMsl costs right around the same ballpark, and can also be used on any manufacturers control panel, including fire panels.

theoretically,

I'm assuming you mean it's flash upgradeable? Or is that the ability to remotely program a control panel?

Ummm....well seeing how the residential industry was destroyed in the 90's, good luck hiding $250.00 somewhere. Although, If I told you what my average RMR using the Internet to route signals was.....It's grade "AA" service, so

10% of people would probably pay extra for it. I think as some of you "old dogs" learn the ability to offer video verification along side the connection, you'll see the quality of service justify the costs. I'm living proof, it works.

I agree. I'd like to see this industry change for the better. 98 more steps to go. Thanks Rob

Reply to
Jackcsg

J: I'm assuming you mean it's flash upgradeable? Or is that the ability to remotely program a control panel?

RHC: Yes, flash upgradable with different options as I understand. You would have to advise the CS to switch the end user device to POTS line as first answer so you could upload/download in the normal manner, then advise them to switch back to IP as primary mode.

J: I think as some of you "old dogs" learn the ability to offer video verification along side the connection, you'll see the quality of service justify the costs. I'm living proof, it works.

RHC: Wow ! Me an old dog ? I thought I was the baby of the group with only

10 years under my belt. Unfortunately, I'll have to leave it to my son to move into video verification although I agree with you; I think that's where this whole issue of false alarms and non response by authorities without prior intervention, will eventually lead the industry.

RHC: Still lots of questions to be answered, but I do think they are on the right track...

J: I agree. I'd like to see this industry change for the better. 98 more steps to go.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

There is one track that's bad that they're (manufacturers) on ..... ONE MORE TIME!

How many years is it going to take before manufacturers get together and produce a product that isn't proprietary? They did the same thing with the digital communicator as they're doing with the IP communicator and we wound up with a dozen different formats. Every receiver mfg had to expended how much more R&D and developement funds to design receivers through the years? Central stations had to invest in half a dozen different receivers in order to accommodate their dealer base. A N D .... IN THE MEAN TIME ...... SIA sits there and waits until every manufacturer develops their own equipment and format and THEN it comes out with a standard. WHA?

LIKE they didn't know VoIP was comming down the pike? What the hell DO they do if they don't impliment or advance the need for standards? Is it the Mfg's that don't want to, or what?

It's like if you had 25 Pizza places within a mile of your home, None of them would make enough money to prosper and the pies would be poorly made. Reduce that to 3 Pizza places ..... everybody benifits.

Hmm, speaking of which I think I'll go get a pizza.

Nah, damn ..... too late.

Reply to
Jim

Thats easy to answer, individual manufacturers developing their own equipment is what causes innovation, also each is developing for a particular segment of the market AND each manufacturer thinks their particular method is better than the competition.

With IP communication DMP and Radionics chose a more direct communication method between the client and central station whereas Honeywell chose easier installation with Symphony/7845i. GE allows direct communication with Osborne Hoffman receivers while also offering user configuring over the web via Premise Connect. Each has strengths and weaknesses but each manufacturer thinks they can do it better.

It doesn't work that way, alarm systems take years to come to market with the amount of design and testing involved and these aren't huge manufacturers with unlimited R&D, they can't develop something for VoIP when VoIP itself doesn't have a standard, With the current pace of communication it's very hard to predict what will come next. 5 years ago making phone calls on the net was mostly a dream, it took 8 years to develop the ITI Advent panel.

And you have what you have now, a pizza market with 3 or 4 big players making semi-crap fast-food type pizza, I prefer some no-name place that really knows how to do it right. Let the market decide how many players it wants

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Unfortunately that's true for 99% of the Manufacturers. But then, why haven't other manufacturers designed their products backward and forward compatable? Clearly it can be done. Look at what having a product, and supposedly a professional one, being easily placed into the hands of every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a credit card has done. Look at the Residential Market.

Hopefully never! Do you really want anymore less trained/certified people installing alarm systems? More Bass companies peddling to the untrained General Public?

That's never going to change. Every Manufacturer has to feel special, or more advanced than the next. That's the niche they believe.

Some are slow to learn, and of course they have to be reactive, not proactive.

People in general don't give to s**ts about quality, they're more interested in the cheapest choice. That's why you'd only have three pizza places to go to in that mile.

Reply to
Jackcsg

Uh-huh. God forbid they allow competition. :^)

That's also one of the main reasons why competition is good for the public. Not only does it result in lower consumer prices. It also results in better product development.

If you want to see what happens when everything is standardized, take a look at the poor quality of Russian products. I hired an immigrant from Moscow about 10-15 years ago. He tried out one of my Milwaukee drills and said "If use drill like 'dis in Russia house fall down." :^)

On that we disagree. I've found that most people do indeed care about quality more than price. Obviously, there's a limit. Few folks will spend three times as much to get a 10% improvement, but most will spend a few dollars more if they know that what they're getting is better built or has better features.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.