Infra Red over TCP/IP

I appreciate that this isn't strictly home automation, but the concepts are the same if you have a big enough house.

I am hoping to control a device (e.g. an ordinary DVD player) using the supplied remote control over a distance of 100's of miles. In order to do this I am hoping to acquire an IR receiver that can encapsulate the output from the supplied remote and encapsulate it in a datagram (TCP/IP) and throw it down an ethernet link such that it can be reassembled by a similarly capable IR transmitter an arbitrary distance away (over a low latency 34Mbps link) and control the device as if the remote was within the typical operating distance of the device/remote pair. In fact the solution must have an ethernet port and communicate via a TCP/IP link.

(I have a couple of Barix Exstreamer digital's, but they only relay IR received from the supplied Barix IR remote control)

Can anyone recommend a device-pair/solution?

Thanks,

Denys Williams

If you think of a device/remote pair for which this will never work then that isn't the device I want to control, but you are really quite clever.

Reply to
Denys Williams
Loading thread data ...

I don't think you will find anything that will do exactly what you want (i.e. capture & encapsulation) but you can accomplish this with a PC (or even 802.11 equipped PDA) and a little bit of programming using the Global Caché GC-100 on the DVD end.

formatting link
I haven't kept up with this lately but I th>I appreciate that this isn't strictly home automation, but the

Reply to
Dave Houston

What about this Barix product?

formatting link
the datasheet
formatting link
seems to indicate it would do what you want.

Not sure if you can buy it yet, but it does look interestng

dan

Denys Williams wrote:

Reply to
Dan

You could do things the fun way and built your own device using a rabbit microcontroller

formatting link
or simmilar. The rabbit core modules have ethernet built right on them. All you'd need is an IR reciever module and some programming skills.

Just a suggestion

-Paul

Reply to
Paul

Nice try Dan, but if you look a bit further you'll see they (Barix) are just banging on about the technology that is integrated into the Exstreamer Digital product (among others) and not actually marketing a stand alone IR over IP solution. Perhaps there is something under development, but I need a solution a little sooner.

Thanks anyway,

Denys

Dan wrote:

formatting link

arbitrary

Reply to
brigman

Judging by the product list, it is a seperate product, so they are marketing it as a stand alone product

formatting link
Have you tried contacting them about this?

dan

brigman wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
Dan

Erm, I'm kinda repeating myself here, but here we go:

Nice try Dan, but if you look a bit further you'll see they (Barix) are just banging on about the technology that is integrated into the Exstreamer Digital product (among others) and not actually marketing a stand alone IR over IP solution. Perhaps there is something under development, but I need a solution a little sooner.

Thanks anyway,

Denys

BTW, Dan, if it doesn't sink in this time, give yourself a bit of a tap on the head with something hard and re-read the above.

formatting link
>

Reply to
Denys Williams

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.