Fire Lite MS5UD??

Hello all,

Has anyone here installed the Fire Lite MS5UD??

I have one installed. Not my panel of choice, it was a replacement for an existing panel that had gone south for a new customer.

It is set up for monitoring (two POTS lines) with 24 hour test. The problem I am having is that it does a double daily test.

It is testing each line daily.

Can't seem to find a way to make it just do one daily test. Anyone here have a fix for this. Called tech support and all I get is yes that is the way it is and there is no way to change it.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Les I don't have a manual in front of me at the moment, But I think the double report has something to do with the way the lines are programmed.. ie.. one master other backup or both master.. If I can find the place in the programming I'll post again or PM you..

RTS

Reply to
R T S

Les, look in the manual to programming section page 84 look at section 3.5.5.3.3 Central Station

1=Reporting (YES) "means the DACT is active" 2=Report Style (backup only) or (First Available) "if it says (Both) that's your problem.."

In addition you may want to check primary and secondary number programming just to be safe..

make sure one number is listed as primary and the other number is secondary (ie..backup) (if both are listed as primary, that can cause the double report also)

It looks complicated at first but if you do a few of them, it can get real simple..

best of luck...

Reply to
R T S

RTS

Please check your email.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Thats one of the new Ul mandates each line tests should be alternate every other day thou

Reply to
NickMark

Hi Nick,

It is a UL issue?? I had not heard about it. When did that change?? Are other mfg's doing the same that you know??

If that is what is going on then it now makes sense what Tech Support said in that it can't be programmed different.

Now I need to look up the UL words to understand better.

little tidbit and can't find it. Very challenging to find a good reference.

This is Honeywell's assessment of UL864 9th Edition. I can only find a reference to the requirement of having 2 means of communication.

formatting link

Nick, any chance you know the UL Listing number or does anyone?? I would really like to read the words to better understand what I am dealing with.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I don't know when the requirement for testing alternate lines came in or ifs a UL requirement, but its in the NFPA 72 1999 edition.

It remained unchanged I believe through the 2010 edition of NFPA 72, but the

2013 edition of NFPA 72 made some changes

NFPA 27 2010 allows 2 telephone lines to be used with a 24 hour test on alternating lines

NFPA 72 2010 26.6.3.2.1.5 (6) exception No2: Where two telephone lines (numbers) are used, it shall be permitted to test each telephone line (number) at alternating 24-hour intervals

NFPA 72 2013 I believe only allows a second telephone line as transmission means if an alternate method of transmission is not available and further states that if 2 telephone lines are used then the interval of the timer test is 6 hours which I believe can alternate between the two lines.

I'm not sure why MS5UD tests both lines at 24 hour intervals, perhaps the DACT is based on older technology designed before the requirement for testing alternate lines came into force and it was easier to make it test both lines rather than alternate lines, having said that it seems unlikely since the alternate line requirement has been around for some 15 years.

Can you set different test times for the 2 lines, if so I would set them 12 hours apart and change the interval at the CS to 12 hours otherwise if they send the test signal at the same time the CS wouldn't flag it if only one test signal was received within the 24 hour period which seems to not comply with the alternate line testing which is designed to help ensure that both lines are working.

Doug

Reply to
doug

Thanks Doug,

Yes the alternate testing makes sense. Test line 1 on Monday and line 2 on Tuesday the back to line 1 on Wednesday, etc., etc.

However I am getting two per day. As per RTS suggestion I changed the test time to 2:30am and 3:30am to see what happens. I originally had the times about 12 hours apart. And it does test at the new times.(as it is programmed)

I did not grill the Tech Support guy too much other than to say that I doubt I will ever install another Fire Lite panel. Presently I am getting billed by the C/S for double 24 hour test. I just can't find a way around it.

As I understand the NFPA 72 2013 made changes to allow for a sole path as opposed to two communication paths. This was to allow for Cellular to function with a 6 minute ping of the module I believe, but still does one 24 hour test.

BTW this MS5UD is new as of a couple of 2014. I have just now made some time to investigate the issue.

I am still mystified on this as it relates to Fire Lite and whatever code compliance they are trying to spec.

Thanks for the input.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Does it also send the alarm reports on both lines? The "Report Style" option gives 3 choices for each of the lines Back up only Both First available. If they are set for "Both" and if the timer tests follow this option then changing to "Back up only" or "First available" may resolve the issue, but then it wouldn't comply with the alternate day requirement.

I think I would just set them 12 hours apart and not worry about it.

Doug

Reply to
doug

Hi Doug,

I have only set for Back Up and First Available never for both. The trouble with the 12 hour apart plan is that it will only help for the first day.

3 am and 3 pm. First day ok. Second day and beyond will have two per day.

Based on other input I am thinking that Fire Lite has designed the panel to conform with NFPA-72 2013 where each path of communication must be tested on a 24 hour cycle. Actually from what I have read it is to be a 6 hour test. That is really going to bust the budget. Anyhow as I am starting to understand Fire Lite has not giving the ability to change this procedure. Even though I live in a state that only accepts NFPA 72 2007.

Unless I hear otherwise I may be fighting a losing battle. More if I hear.

Have a good week!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.