Nortel VoIP problems

Hey,

I'm having a problem with our 4-digit dialing. Our Nortel services vendor upgraded our corporate office's Succession CSE 1000 to v4.0. Immediately all 12 of our sites could not contact us. They then applied a patch that allowed us to communicate with all locations running BCM 3.5. The remaining BCM 3.0 sites were upgraded to 3.5 and began to work.

After this we noticed many of the calls from different sites could not hear anything on our end (corporate). The problem only happens when the remote site calls us, it works fine when we call them. We can always hear them; they just can't hear us at all. It's intermittent, occurring between 5% and 65% of the time depending on location, and some locations never experience it.

Our vendor believes it to be a QOS issue, but nothing on the routers has changed. Also we run fractional T1's with severely restricted internet access so our bandwidth usage is nominal. In addition, a QOS issue would cause intermittent drops on individual calls, but when our problem occurs they hear complete silence for as long as the call lasts and can call right back and hear us perfectly (sometimes).

I have no idea what could be causing this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Mike

Reply to
mcasey0827
Loading thread data ...

Hey Mike:

Is there an ITG card in the succession switch at your host site. If so, what release firmware and software is it using.

Reply to
XBarNone

I believe so, but I can't find it. I'm running OTM v2.01 and there are no nodes set up for the ITG card so I can't see anything about it. I can't set up a new node because I don't know the Active leader IP address or the physical address of the card (if there is one).

Looking at the Succession unit itself is no help either. No reference to ITG on the Signalling server or the gatekeepers.

On the phone, Nortel recommended upgrades of our BCM to v3.6 (we are at

3.5), signaling server to v4.0.55, and Media Card firmware to v6.5... but my vendor didn't bite sticking with their ridiculous QOS theory. I still have no idea what we're running now because we were never given an upgrade list on the invoice and have pretty much cut off communication with our vendor.

How do I find out if it's there and what version it is?

Mike

XBarN> Hey Mike:

Reply to
mcasey0827

I think you have a bandwidth issue. What codec are you running? We had a similar problem with an SRG and a Succession. Our technician changed the codec from G711 to G729 and turned on the voice activation feature. You can always give that a try.

For some reason I have had very bad luck with BCM's and VOIP in general.

Reply to
compufxr

Reply to
mcasey0827

When does it happen , from beginning of the call til the end, or does it occur during an excisting call ? I don't think its a QOS issue. We had a customber with succession rls 2. They had sometimes one-speech path when the call was transfered by the attended. After a upgrade to rls 4 the problem was fixed. Contact your vendor again and let him search for the problem, if they think its a QOS-issue, let them prove that it is. If some locations don't have the problems, check which configurations this site has, rls , patches etc , compare this with the sites that have problems.

Pennyman

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Pennyman

hi Mike i think from my experience, and what i read up that you need to listen to nortel and upgrade all what they said. also there is top priority to the "zone" issue (ld 117). check it up, and i think that you can solve it.

yossi

Reply to
bahaluly

I agree with Yossi,

Make sure you install all the upgrades and patches first.

Reply to
compufxr

It's fixed. Our old vendor, Digitel installed mismatched codecs. Thanks alot guys, appreciate all of the help.

Mike

compufxr wrote:

Reply to
mcasey0827

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.