Quiet, 24VDC Motion Detector?

Hi All,

I haven't lurked around here for a while, but I now have a question that I think this group can help me with, so without further delay...

Any suggestions for a motion detector that is a) Inexpensive, b) Operates on 24 Volts DC c) Is silent/very quiet?

This would be used for detecting activity in a room (and due to the geometry of the room, I'll be using at least 3, which is why "the cheaper the better" is becomming my mantre here). I don't need pet imunity, I don't need tamper contacts, I don't need a walk test LED.

Straight PIR is fine by me, and I don't need microwave. Contacts can be normally open or normally closed.

If there isn't such a thing as a "Cheap, quiet 24 volt motion detector" I could make a "Cheap quiet 12 volt motion detector" work, but that would mean adding additional power supplies which I'd like to avoid. Large emphasis on QUIET. I used a old(er) FBII PIR for my proof-of-concept and -- this may sound wacky, but -- the sound of the relay clicking on and off drove me batty.

Bonus points if it can be purchased at retail in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

Thanks,

Lincoln

Reply to
chsvideo
Loading thread data ...

Lincoln,

There are hundreds of inexpensive motion detectors available. Only a few of them work with 24 VDC. Most are designed for 12 VDC. Several of the models I sell online can handle 9~16 VDC but none are rated for 24V.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The only PIR that I've used that operates at a range between 12 and 28 VDC is Securitron's "Rex" (you can source information on one here:

formatting link
DSC manufactures a unit they call the "T-REX", but I can't get my hands on the manual at the moment and don't recall if it can handle 24 volts. Either way though, they're both noisy suckers (and used as a request to exit PIR on buildings with access control). I figure your chances of finding one to suite your particular application are pretty slim. I'd suggest "biting the bullet" and using a 12 VDC power supply and source a quiet PIR like the Paradox DG-75 from a Dealer in your area.

Good luck!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.