Connect home audio receiver to computer

Hope I'm in the correct group. I want to connect my Advent 300 receiver to my computer sound card to use my Klipsch speakers. Can this be accomplished using a Y-Adapter Audion Cable plugged into the line-in on my sound card? I'm using a Audigy2 ZS card. Not sure if and how to do this if it can at all. Any help appreciated!! treeloaf

Reply to
treeloaf
Loading thread data ...

You just need a Y cable that's a 3-conductor mini plug on one end and two rca plugs on the other. Run it from the line out on your sound card to a line level input on your receiver and you're good-to-go.

Reply to
Mitch

Mitch, First, thanks for the reply. When you say a "line level input", the only options on this particular receiver are:Tape-In, Tape-Out, Aux, Phono, Poweramp In, PreAmp Out( I know it isn't these two) and of course the mounts for the speakers. I was going to cut the RCA ends off, and attach these to the speaker Right and Left channel post and connect the other end to the sound card. Am I still headed in the wrong direction? Thanks again, Tony

Reply to
treeloaf

It's not at all clear what you want to do. Mitch interpreted your question opposite of what you actually asked but it's not clear whether what you asked is what you really want. Are the Klipsch speakers attached to the receiver or the soundcard?

Do you want...

RCVR -> SOUNDCARD -> SPKRS (use preamp out to line-in)

or...

SOUNDCARD -> RCVR -> SPKRS (use l>Mitch,

Reply to
Dave Houston

To clarify things, do your Klipsch speakers resemble these...

formatting link
or these...

formatting link
I think Mitch assumed the former while you meant the latter.

Hav>Mitch,

Reply to
Dave Houston

My dyslexia might be getting the better of me ;-)

If you want to use your receiver as the source and your pc to play what's coming from it on your pc speakers, then run from the tape-out to the line-in on your audigy card.

If you want to use your PC as the source and your receiver for amplification (which is how I interpreted your question), you can probably use the tape-in or aux inputs on your receiver.

Reply to
Mitch

Many of the mighty have fallen. Klipsch, Fisher and other names in the HiFi pantheon no longer mean what they once did.

Tape-out may have nothing on it when there is no tape-in feed. Sometimes these were intended to monitor as you record.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Usually, the tape out always has something and there's a "monitor" button to tell the unit to play what's coming back on the tape-in (otherwise it plays the source straight out).

But, as Dave says, sometimes the tape-out doesn't work this way, in which case you'll probably have to go from the pre-amp out to the line-in on your audigy card.

Reply to
Mitch

The Advent 300 is a legendary piece of audio gear from the mid-70s, renowned for its tuner and preamp. Without an owners manual it may be hard to figure out just what the various inputs and outputs do as terminology has evolved (my apologies to any anti-evolutionists) and the gear to which it was designed to mate (reel-to-reel tape?) has morphed in the intervening years.

From what I can find on the web (very little) the preamp may have been just for a phono pickup, in which case, it would not apply here despite my earlier guess that it would.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I found some specs for the Advent 300 at...

formatting link
There are schematics...

http://www.davidreat>Mitch wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Tape out or preamp out, then a Y cable RCA to small plug for the line in on your computer. That will let you record on the PC from the receiver.

OR

Y cable from line out on the sound card, over to Aux or Poweramp in on the receiver, to use your receiver and big speakers from the PC.

The required Y cable is available at RadioShack, and like everyone else.

Reply to
John Hines

So, all of these responses probably cleared everything up, right? ;-)

Anyway, based on Dave Houston's research showing that the tape-out works as I suspected, you can tie your PC in with your receiver "completely" with two "Y" cables. Both would have a mini 3-conductor plug on one leg and two rca plugs on the other.

Plug one of the mini 3-conductor plugs into the line-out on your audigy card and the corresponding rca plugs into the tape-in jacks on your receiver. Using this, you'll be able to record stuff coming from your receiver on your PC or use your PC speakers to listen to your receiver.

Use the other Y cable to connect the line-in on your audigy card to the tape-out jacks on your receiver. This will allow you to play content from your PC (MP3's, Internet radio, etc.) on your receiver.

I hope this summarizes/simplifies all of the other messages for you.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Mitch

This is PC -> Advent 300.

This is Advent 300 -> PC.

Dyslexia strikes again. ;)

By this time treeloaf has probably decided to stick to watching TV.

Reply to
Dave Houston

!evaD ,tghir er'uoy

Reply to
Mitch

ROTFL!

This is funnier than Lewis Gardner's "grate" in the plenum/duct thread.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave, You are absolutely correct regarding my explanation of what I wanted to do. I should have been more specific in my request. I have the Klipsch 2.1 computer desktop speakers. As both of you have explained, I do want to go from receiver(source), to PC soundcard then out to the speakers. So, based on the information you have given me, tape-out to line-in on sound card is the way I will try first. Please watch for my post tomorrow and I will let you know the results. Dave and Mitch, thanks greatly for your response, patience and detailed explanation on what I need to do. Dave, you are right again. Without guys like the two of you I would probably have to watch TV or stick to my portable CD player. Regards, Tony

Reply to
treeloaf

Tony,

Back in the day there were some reel-to-reel tape setups with separate record and play heads that with some amps and receivers you could monitor as you recorded by monitoring the play head immediately after the recording rather than monitoring the source. That's why I wanted to find the specs for your receiver. More recent receivers seldom label inputs/outputs as Tape-In & Tape-Out.

Plus, I figured that anyone who was enough of an audiophile to have both the Kipsch corner horns and the Advent 300 wouldn't be asking how to connect things. ;)

I'm glad we didn't c>Dave,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Klipsch computer speakers are not quite the famous corner horns. I've always lusted after some Klipsch horns, but need a new house to properly house them.

Reply to
Pat Farrell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.