ZoneAlarm no longer supports Win98SE...what to do?

ZoneAlarm no longer supports updates for Win98 SE users. Soooo.... does anyone have a recommendation for a FW that DOES still work well with 98SE and is still being supported by updates?? (preferably FREE, but will pay if that's all there is)

I also use Norton AV, so I would need a FW that is compatible with that.

I certainly don't want to go too long without updating. Any help will be much appreciated! :)

Reply to
gargoyle
Loading thread data ...

Speaking of going a long time without updating, you might keep in mind that not only are Win98/ME officially end of lifed next month[1] but the Windows explorer remote code execution flaw will never be fixed in those operating systems[2]. So don't be surprised if you find that the few vendors left supporting your OS dwindle even further. For example, Cisco's IPsec VPN client for Windows (aka SafeNet's SoftRemote) has just recently dropped support for Win9X/ME.

-Gary

[1]
formatting link
formatting link
Reply to
Gary

There's really no reason why you can't continue to just use an older version of ZA. All the 'updates' are just bloat and non-essential garbage that they keep adding all the time, lately making the product more buggy and conflicting with other software. You don't really need any of it.

Reply to
Kerodo

You don't have to update. I've used 4.05.594 for some time, because it's the last version that worked well with 98. Occasional re-install is all it takes. Just keep a copy of the executable to use when you need it. From what I've been reading on this forum and others, the latest version of ZAP is full of bugs, anyway. Too much bloat and functions you don't need with every update the last couple years. Click on the Zonelabs Forums link inside your Help File for "support". One good thing concerning the extinction of Win 98. At least the bad guys will leave us alone for more "secure" territory to hack.

charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

I suspect all the extra features are just so the marketing people can have another check box on their product.

Reply to
Memnoch

Sadly, very true...

Reply to
Kerodo

Thanks everyone for your replies! I really feel a lot better. I thought the updates were kinda like virus definitions...that you had to have the newest files in order for ZA to work with all the newest hacking, etc. Knowing I can stick with what I already have has lifted a huge weight off my shoulders!

I appreciate all the responses! :)

Reply to
gargoyle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.