Virtual Memory too low

Why the hell so many of these messages?

PC has 256 MB of RAM, XPSP2 and I set the paging file to a range of

1000 - 2000 MB. Even with hardly any apps loaded I got out of memory errors for one app which crashed, and these messages saying Windows is resizing the file come up every day.

There is onboard video which is using 16MB of the system RAM

"Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low : Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help. "

PF Usage says the system is using 2.12 GB, what the hell for? It was only using 376 MB before I set it to a higher minimum

Reply to
Rob J
Loading thread data ...

The problem you have is not with your paging file - unless you have a hugely wierd application that is actually wanting GB's of virtual memory.

This tends to indicate to me that the application(s) you are trying to use is at fault.

You imply it is one specific application. What is it?

Have you tried AV and antispyware scans using the latest signatures?

If you fire up task manager, (Ctrl Alt Delete, Task Manager), choose the Processes tab and on the View Menu, click Select Columns, and tick Virtual Memory Size, this will show you which applications are using large amounts of VM.

- Tim

Reply to
Tim

Zonealarm (v6)

After running it for a couple of hours the swapfile is 1.27GB and vsmon.exe is using 98 megs of memory.

I think it's partly from the hardware monitor which uses local zone to communicate, still ZA should be better designed than keeping a huge memory based list of alerts that it never shrinks or dumps.

I used to write apps that got into endless loops and grew the swapfile until the PC ran out of free disk space and crashed, from where I sit it looks like ZA is doing just the same, more slowly that's all.

Reply to
Rob J

ZoneAlam is well know as being Crap, use some of the other Free ones..

I use the Older Kerio 2.1.5 does not use a Thing..

Reply to
Tony

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.