Help, Hardware Firewall that will control outgoing program control

With all the concern about software "firewalls" can someone recommend a good/great hardware firewall that will block application outgoing traffic.

Thank you

Reply to
Bill Lanigan
Loading thread data ...

With all the concern about security, why do you still believe in controlling outbound communication being feasible?

formatting link
"Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe."

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Netgear has an ICSA FW router, that blocks out bound traffic. I hear Dlink has a good one too, but I don't remember the model number. I myself, I use a low-end Watchguard. You should make sure you get something that works with Wallwatcher.

Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

There isn't one - they all block type, not application. There is nothing you can install on your computer that could reliably identify the application to the firewall solution.

Reply to
Leythos

None of them block "Application" outgoing - they only block traffic by port or traffic type - they have no way to know what application created the traffic.

Reply to
Leythos

I know this and I should have mentioned it. However, they block outbound is the key.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

Reply to
Bill Lanigan

The person asked "will block application outgoing" and that means your reply fails the requirement. Your reply could imply that it meets the requirement, as you specified a solution for the question, although your solution fails the requirement.

Reply to
Leythos

It was corrected by you was it not, it moot.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

Bill Lanigan ha scritto:

Checkpoint FW1 NGX would block some type of traffic with Application Intelligence(either outgoing or ingoing). You must specify what type of application you want to block.

Reply to
Wolferin

The only way it can do that is to have a client side app installed and that means it can be compromised. Also, if it doesn't have a client side piece installed then it's not blocking and application, it's blocking ports or protocols.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.