Great Firewall/Australia censorship proposal

That is OK. Your comments are archived for posterity. Hope you understand now.

Reply to
PAJ
Loading thread data ...

Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@us.news.astraweb.com:

Yes I do. Is that too confusing?

:)

But since it's suddenly become an annoyance I will cease.

Actually, I thought it was funny. Guess I have an odd sense of humor.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

X-No-Archive: Yes

I just discovered one flaw in P2P television broadcast software when I was trying to figure out what was slowing down my server and making it crash. It turns out that any tech saavy, with a traffic analyser program, can get the IP and port for any Sopcast, TVU, or TVAnts stream and bypass the P2P network altogether.

Becuase the direct-connect URLs would not be in any filtering lists, once someone got that URL, they could just simply plug that in to Windows Media Player, once they got to work, bypassing both the P2P TV networks, and bypassing all filtering, since most residential cable and DSL addressees (where about 80 percent of the actual traffic to these servers are streamed from), will not be in any filtering lists. Somoene could be doing that right now, having obtrained the needed IP and port using a traffic analyser program at home, before they left, and quite literally be doing right under your nose, and you might not even be aware of it, since it bypasses both the P2P TV networks, and bypasses all filtering. In other words, your filtering vendor is not going to have that URL in their filtering lists, so it could be used in most workplaces.

During our coverage when a coupl of Australia's top guns in tennis were playing, it turns out I was getting connections, that bypassed the central P2P server, from workplaces ALL OVER Australia. Since I am not in any filtering lists, it was possible once traffic analysis programs, easily found on the Intenet, told them what the address and port of my streaming server was, all they had to do was simply wirte that down, and then plug that in to Windows Media Player when they got to work, and they were good to go for the rest of the day. There were connctions from corporate networks all over Australia when Lleyton Hewitt was playing the other day.

It is not JUST my channel. ANYONE on your office network could be doing this with ANY channel on either SopCast or TVAnts, having gotten the IP and port to connect directly to the streamers computer, from home, to bypass both the P2P network, AND filterng as well, and you might not even KNOW it. Just plug that address into Windows Media Player, and they are good to go, and until it comes to the attention of your filtering vendor, it will not be blocked. So someone on your network could, when baseball season starts, tune in to the ball game on their work PC, and it will be blocked until it comes to the attention of your filtering vendor.

Reply to
Chilly8

Nope, does not work by default on a properly firewalled network. It only worked on networks that to not apply strong security measures.

It does not take a "Filter" list/vendor to block what you suggest.

Reply to
Leythos

Skywise wrote in news:qkj4l.73280$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe29.ams:

Something the matter with X-No-Archive: Yes?

Eh, stupid?

D.

Reply to
Derio

Try reading the entire thread before posting, lest you post something silly like you did.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

Another reason why some of our streams will never show up in any filteirng vendor's lists comes on account of copyright regulations in the U.S. The only streams we are currently allowed to legally stream into the U.S., are the Live 365 and LoudCity streams. We currently block the Shoutcast stream to U.S. users, because we are not currently licenced in the U.S., for the Shoutcast stream. This means that when most of your filtering vendors crawl the site, they will be blocked from the Shoutcast stream, because all the filtering vendors (other than SurfControl and WebWasher) have all their networks in the United States, thus they fall within the "blocked" IP ranges.

This is why people in Europe can get our figure skating coverage unhindered. European listeners can listen to us on Shoutcast. This is becuase all filtering vendors, other than SurfControl(England) or WebWasher(network in Germany) are not going to have me in their filtering lists, becuase the geographic filteirng is going to block all U.S.-based filtering vendors as well.

So, thanks to U.S. copyright regulations, listeners outside the United States can listen the Shoutcast stream unhindered, becuase all filtering vendors, other than SurfControl or WebWasher, are not going to my Shoutcast stream URL in their filtering lists.

Reply to
Chilly8

[snip]

What has your posted content got to do with comp.security.firewalls? =20

--=20

- Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

- Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a=20 drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Reply to
Leythos

Chew on this,

We are carrying the presidentual inauguration right now, and there are people right now listening from workplaces all over the place, with "free" listener capacity at 100 percent.

I am also seeing a handful of connections coming from an encrypted proxy in Israel. Whoever is using THAT from work will NEVER have it known they were listening to the inaugural. All the boss will know is that somoene made an encrypted connection to a computer in Israel.

There is NOTHING unethical about listening to the inaguration from work, as long as your WORK is getting DONE. As long as you get your work DONE, I see NOTHING wrong with watching or listening to the inaguration from work.

Reply to
Chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.