Echo and Echo-Reply Port Numbers?

I cannot for the life of me determine what port numbers refer to echo and echo-reply.

I know they are related for ICMP and I believe one of them is 7, but what is the other?

I am using a pix asa5520.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
toureg69
Loading thread data ...

and ICMP doesn't have any port numbers. It only has status codes.

Well, why don't you simply look into RFC 792 or at Wikipedia, Google it up or RTFM?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

play around with ping or traceroute and capture the packets, then you'll see the different answer types.

...here a detailed description:

formatting link
M

Reply to
mak

That's no real surprise, since ICMP doesn't have ports.

You believe wrong. ICMP is an IP protocol of its own that has nothing to do with TCP or UDP.

formatting link
cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

As others have posted - ICMP does not have ports. See RFC792 (or RFC0792) at any search engine. ICMP Echo Request is a Type 8 Code 0, and the reply will be a Type 0 Code 0.

0792 Internet Control Message Protocol. J. Postel. September 1981. (Format: TXT=30404 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0777) (Updated by RFC0950, RFC4884) (Also STD0005) (Status: STANDARD)

See also

formatting link

formatting link
echo 7/tcp Echo echo 7/udp Echo

Notice these are TCP and/or UDP, and not ICMP. This is a different service,

0862 Echo Protocol. J. Postel. May 1983. (Format: TXT=1237 bytes) (Also STD0020) (Status: STANDARD)

but when microsoft invented IP networking 13 years after everyone else, they didn't bother to implement this service - they have a habit of not bothering to follow existing standards. This isn't a big deal, as this service isn't required by RFC1122 (while the ICMP version _is_ required).

1122 Requirements for Internet Hosts - Communication Layers. R. Braden, Ed.. October 1989. (Format: TXT=295992 bytes) (Updated by RFC1349, RFC4379) (Also STD0003) (Status: STANDARD)

As only a few operating systems include the TCP and UDP Echo service, you will rarely see packets for port 7 - mainly from skript kiddiez who haven't learned how to read yet.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Oh, but they did. However, it's only available with the server versions, and it's not installed by default (you need to install the Simple TCP/IP services).

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.