CP management module backup

I'm installing 2 x CP IP380s in cluster with one management module. The server I was going to use as the management server's been delayed. Can I install the management module on a Win XP workstation for now, and then back this up and restore it to a Windows 2003 server when the server's ready? The book "CP1.. Administration" (Ratcliffe/Shah) says you can only restore to the same OS as the backup. Is there a way around this?? Thx.

Reply to
ch4rlie
Loading thread data ...

Sorry - should add I'm using Checkpoint NG AI R55 on the 380s, and IPSO

3.8. Thx in advance. C.
Reply to
ch4rlie

If you use the upgrade_export and upgrade_import utilities, you can swap between operating systems. I just used it to go from a 2000 to a 2003 OS.

That being said, I believe SmartCenter must be installed on a server operating system, not a workstation OS.

Ray

Reply to
Me

I'm running SmartCenter on XP SP2 in my CP lab at home because I didn't have a server OS license available. It's the management and log server for an R55 SPLAT cluster. No issues so far.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

Well, that's good to know. It will make setting up a test environment less expensive.

Ray

Reply to
Me

IME you can do it cheap and compact.

My SPLATs are discarded IBM NetVista desktops (P3 933 512MB) with scrounged Sun Quad Ethernet cards (SPLAT has a driver, but you have to pass it MAC addresses. Try finding another 5v quad card that fits a short PCI slot!) for 9 interfaces each. Quite adequate for functional testing, but not enough RAM for anything too stressful.

The switch is an old BayStack, has just enough features for a lab (VLANs and port spanning), and handles CPHA multicast MACs no problem - unlike the high-end Cisco gear we have in production.

Add a couple of ancient Sun boxes or PCs, with quad cards, to act as traffic sources/sinks, and your only significant expense is CP licenses.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.